C2D Build: About to order my first ever build, advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I would really appreciate your input on my final spec for my first build.

Intended Usage:
- 80% Heavy multitasking - Mail, browsing, downloading movies, playng music with Mediaplayer, decoding movies, online poker
- 20% Games - Warcraft, Flight sims, RTS

Other Info
- I will be using my existing Dell 20 inch LCD, running 1600x1200
- I will experiment with moderate overclocking, but this is my main system so I want a stable box that will run for 2-3 years
- I don't want the extra complexity of RAID
- I am not interested in SLI. I will buy the top of the line DX10 graphics card next year, the current choice is only a stop gap.
- Based on what I have heard above the minimal cpu impact I am going for on board sound rather than a separate card
- In future I see myself upgrading to quad core
- I will run XP 32 as my main OS, with Vista on its own partition until I am happy to move to Vista (late next year?). Will also have another OS partition on the main Harddrive for messing around with Linux

Questions
- What are your general thoughts?
- How does my memory choice look?
- Does my PSU look ok for the future? I would like a modular unit. I won't go SLI, but do see myself having Quad core and a beefy DX10 GPU, as well as 3+ SATA devices.
- Is there an ATI alternative to my graphics card choice, as I hear ATI is the way to go right now? Also I want to avoid reinstalling my OS if I move to an ATI DX10 card (I have hear that you should reinstall the OS if you are changing between ATI & Nvidia drivers)
- What's the view on my case? I want something with good cooling, quiet, space to move around in and good looking. Suggestions?

Spec
These parts are available in online & local stores (i live in Holland).

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Motherboard - P5W DH Deluxe (Intel 975X) (I changed this from a Gigabyte DQ6 after hearing about a lot of memory problems)
Cooler - Zalman CNPS 9500AT
Memory - 2GB - OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2 CL 4-4-4-15
OR
2GB Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5
Video - XFX GeForce 7600GT 256MB (will upgrade to DX 10 card(s) next year)
Hard Drive #1 - Western Digital Raptor WD1500AD) - (Windows XP, Vista, Linux, Games partitions)
Hard Drive #2 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 - (another of these to be added later for backup)
Case - GigaByte 3D Aurora (I have been bouncing between a Coolermaster Mystique 631, a Coolermaster Praetorian and a Collermaster WaveMaster, now I have this choice)
PSU - OCZ Modstream 520W or Antec NEO 500W
Floppy/cardreader - Mitsumi 7in1 FDD+Cardreader
Optical - NEC AD-7173A DVD burner

Good, except for the E6600. Get the E6400 and overclock it (should overclock well with that board and your ram, without blowing up your processor in 3 years). Will save you quite a bit of money that way.

Also just a personal recommendation. Get the Enermax Noisetaker II 485W PSU instead.

yeah i'm with the guy above me, go with the E6400 the multiplier will yeild better oc results than the 6300. with the memory stick to corsair or g.skill. i love my g.skill ram. other than that everything seems fine.

Mate, stick with the E6600 its a great processor and will do a lot better than the 6400... if you can hold off until the C2D price cuts (22nd this month) the 6600 will be around $224

If your looking at a high end motherboard I strongly suggest the EVGA 680i.. although you may not need the SLI, you will definately get better features and more performance out of your parts (stock or OC) its stupidly over featured and fast, otherwise if ur after a simple mobo no need to spend that much the 965P S3 will happily do the job for half the price

Also for cooling nothing beats a Thermalright Ultra 120 heatsink and get a quality fan like the Scythe S-Flex or Ninja

Excellent choice on the case, I have recently bought mine (Aurora 570) and have never looked back!

Way to go, this thread is from September 2006. In threads like these, offering advice nearly 7 months after the question doesn't do any good.

Ramming Speed........

The Intel chipsets are picky, picky about RAM timing. I know the 965 Intel based boards run most reliably with 5-5-5-15. (With DDR-800) Other timings may not post. Intel has evaluated quite a few DIMMs. I'm not sure about the 975 chipsets, but it's worth a visit to their website for peace of mind's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back