Can I install Win XP on a Dell system that comes with Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertq

Hi,

I want to buy a Dell system but it comes with Pre installed Windows Vista Home Premium & they do not offer Win XP.

I would like to install Win XP Pro SP3 in it and remove Vista.

(1) Can I do that & if yes how ? I have Windows XP Pro SP3 CD that came with my another Dell system.

(2) How important is it to learn Vista ? I do not like Vista but it looks like sooner or later I am going to have to learn it. Any idea of what percentage of people owning computers now use Vista instead of other Windows OS ?

Thanks Much.

Well Vista comes preinstalled on most computers you buy these days so. And as for installing Xp (if you want) Pop the cd in to the tray reboot reformat your hdd when its asks and install xp the rest of the way. now if you are runing that xp cd installed on the other system you will have to get another cd key from microsoft unless its a student version or retail

Sure you can, but before you do, be sure you can get all the drivers... Chipset is critical, BIOS may be critical, ethernet, audio, video graphics... Out of all of them, the Chipset, and ethernet drivers are most critical, because without them, you cannot download the rest of what you need to get it running right.
Some do NOT come with drivers... they are available someplace, but if you do not know where that someplace is, you better wait until you do.

larryiam said:
Well Vista comes preinstalled on most computers you buy these days so. And as for installing Xp (if you want) Pop the cd in to the tray reboot reformat your hdd when its asks and install xp the rest of the way. now if you are runing that xp cd installed on the other system you will have to get another cd key from microsoft unless its a student version or retail

Dell CD doesn't ask for CD key in my current system so would it in the new system ?

I thought OEM versions ( At Least Dell ) don't ask for key.

well the xp cd can only be used on one active computer hooked up to the internet at a time. The cd automatically has the cd key when you install it.

No, but if you look at the installed key from the CD, it will NOT be the same as the one on the case... if that matters to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back