Can not connect to Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambam00

Greetings,

I am unable to connect to the internet with any program (IE, firefox, yahoo! messenger, real player, etc). I am running windows XP pro (unregistered version). the only thing I did today is download and run ccleaner (at my beau's insistence, he's and IT person for the local college). I think this effected something, he says it didn't. Regardless, I can not get on the internet or connect in any way (so I'm using a spare computer to find information). We have a home network and DSL. All other computers connect fine. The lights on the wire from the router to my computer turn on properly when plugged in (the cord isn't bad). I don't know what to do. I will post what ever information is requested, but as you can probably tell I am not the most computer literate. I can successfully ping the IP and DNS in cmd prompt, but can not ping any external sites (google, yahoo, etc). Please help if you can.

Very lost,

Ambam

Start -> Run -> inetwiz

Or go to a command prompt and type in:

ipconfig /release

and then

ipconfig /renew

still not working

Greetings,

I did the inetwiz and told it to set up through the lan, it went through all the steps but still doesn't work.

I tried to use the cmd prompt of ipconfig /release and recieved the following error message:

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ambam

Go to Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager, and see if the network adapter or simple communication adapter are flagged in red or yellow... which is probably does based on the ipconfig/release.

Run ipconfig /renew

You may need to download and replace your drivers for the ethernet adapter... and you may have to reinstall your modem.

No problems shown in device manager. I don't have a modem, I have DSL (I do use a router). I can connect to other computers on the LAN, just not the internet. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling my ethernet card (its a VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter)

Ambam

The lan part works, the internet doesn't. I can access other computers and have other computers access mine. Its really confusing. Bios showed properly active.

I assume other pc's on the LAN can connect to the internet OK and you can get into the software on your router with the troublesome pc.

Forgive me for asking but being in the UK am not sure of your DSL setup, do you have a router connected to a cable modem or is it a router with built in modem?

The problem is apparently something to do with registering with the DNS? Does this mean anything to anyone?

ok, I can not access the router from the computer. I can still access other computers on the LAN. Other computers can connect just fine. I've installed the newest drivers for my ethernet card, this did not change anything. Should I try replacing the card entirely? ITs a Router connected to a DSL modem.

Replaced the ethernet card. This did not fix the problem. LAN still works fine, just can't get online.

let's see how your TCP is configured;
run->cmd /k ipconfig /all

past the results in your follow-up

cmd ipconfig /all shows:

Widows IP Configuration

Host Name........Fingerloop
Primary DNS Suffix....
Node Type.....Mixed
IP Routing Enabled...NO
WING Proxy Enabled...NO

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection Specific DNS suffix......
Description...:3Com 3C905TX-based Ethernet Adapter <generic>
Physical Address...:00-60-97-B5-61-54
Dhcp Enabled...No
IP address.....:192.168.2.20
Subnet mask...:255.255.255.0
Default Gateway...:192.168.2.1

The /k command caused an error message, this is the regular ipconfig /all. Hope this is what you wanted.

Ambam00 said:
cmd ipconfig /all shows:

Widows IP Configuration

Host Name........Fingerloop
Primary DNS Suffix....
Node Type.....Mixed
IP Routing Enabled...NO
WING Proxy Enabled...NO

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection Specific DNS suffix......
Description...:3Com 3C905TX-based Ethernet Adapter <generic>
Physical Address...:00-60-97-B5-61-54
Dhcp Enabled...No
IP address.....:192.168.2.20
Subnet mask...:255.255.255.0
Default Gateway...:192.168.2.1

hum; you should have a DNS just under the Gateway (addresses will be different)
Code:
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 66.75.160.63

also you don't have DHCP set active, so the configuration is fouled up.

use View Network Connections
find the Lan
right click->properties
find and select Tcp/Ip ; click Properties button

set DHCP for both IP and DNS

click OK, OK until the window closes

get the CMD prompt via run->cmd

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

(you should now have a DNS entry from the ipconfig /all
if so, follow with this)

ipconfig /flushdns
net stop "DNS Client"
net start "DNS Client"

ok, I followed all of the steps, and it does show a DNS server address now on ipconfig, but it still will not access the internet. also, despite adding the address in both the IP and DNS sections of the LAN, the config still shows DHCP as not enabled. My computer would not let me do ipconfig /release gave me the "no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation" error. Also, I can sucessfully ping all the addresses given. just not external (ie: google) addresses. Silly question: should the DNS and default gateway have the same address (192.168.2.1) ? If not how do I know what to put in the DNS address?

Ok just checked with the Beau (who put this whole lan thingy together) He says we are not using Dhcp we are using static IPs. Don't know if this helps or not, but thats what he said.

Ambam00 said:
ok, I followed all of the steps, and it does show a DNS server address now on ipconfig, but it still will not access the internet. also, despite adding the address in both the IP and DNS sections of the LAN, the config still shows DHCP as not enabled.
don't add my address, get DHCP working

My computer would not let me do ipconfig /release gave me the "no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation" error. Also, I can sucessfully ping all the addresses given. just not external (ie: google) addresses.
Silly question: should the DNS and default gateway have the same address (192.168.2.1) ?
DNS is not the same thing as gateway
If not how do I know what to put in the DNS address?

Ok just checked with the Beau (who put this whole lan thingy together) He says we are not using Dhcp we are using static IPs. Don't know if this helps or not, but thats what he said.

The static addresses ARE the problem. An ISP can change them and you'll have fits making it work :(
you have no 'internet access' because ping www.google.com will not work either.
If that doesn't work, the the browser and your email will not work.

it appears that the error above is your primary problem.

the Private Message sent earlier explains DNS operations:
In your command prompt enter IPCONFIG /ALL
Near the bottom you will see (usually) two lines associated with the label DNS Servers . .
Whenever your system requests site-by-name, the operation flows like this:

Request foo.com --> Gateway --> DNS address
Returns the ip-address thereof <-- Gateway <-- DNS
Request ip-address --> Gateway --> off into the WWW
Reply from foo.com <-- Gateway <-- foo.com

4:- Now prove that your browser can find pages using a name rather than an ip-address:
ping www.google.com

the Lan to Router uses the static IP address. The router to DSL modem uses Dhcp. The static IP addresses are working fine for all the other computers. We tried changing which LAN port I was accessing, and still recieved the same error. For some reason, the computer can use the router, but not go from the router to the modem, and changing the port on the router that is accessed did not help.

listen carefully; you have no DNS address on the failing system.

there are two ways to get it:
1- use DCHP from the NIC to the router OR
2- manually enter the DNS address​
if the other systems are accessing urls and email, then COPY their DNS address
into the NIC of the failing system.

There's nothing else I can do from here if you will not take suggestions -- good luck.

I did manually enter the DNS address. Problem was still not solved. I used the same DNS that is working on the other computers.

do you still see
"no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation" error.
attempting run->cmd /k ipconfig /release; ipconfig /renew ?

hum; /k says KEEP the command prompt window after running the **whatever**.

Please post your OS and hardware specs; there's a disconnect on what you're reporting and how each system gets configured.

Ran a system restore to an earlier date (wednesday) because the computer worked then. I had to manually update the IP information on the LAN, and restart and it works. McAfee is unhappy, says that files are missing. Other than that, I can get on the internet. I am updating mcafee now, and am going to download ccleaner again. If it messes up again, I'll let you know. Oh, and I'm killing McAfee and getting Avast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back