Cannot found 320 GB Harddisk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear members,
I bought a new 320 GB harddisk (Seagate, ST3320620A). First, I open my Computer's case then pluged it as the secondary harddisk for formating it. It's done, I can find my new drive. Then, I took it out and put it into the external case to use it as the portable-external harddisk. But when I connected it to my computer using USB cable, my computer cannot see the new drive. Normally, this case may be happen, if you haven't enough USB power supply. But in my case, the external case provides the power supply too (with AC adapter). Moreover, I tried to change the USB cable to the another good one, it's still not working.
However, I connected it to my friend's computers, some of them can work properly but some cannot work. Is it the USB driver problem? How should I do?

--I use Windows XP Professional (lastest update) on Dell Optiplex GX280.

Thank you very much,

Hi Ceowebmaster and welcome to the TS Forums

I dont get this part of your post.

ceowebmaster said:
However, I connected it to my friend's computers, some of them can work properly but some cannot work. Is it the USB driver problem? How should I do?

Mostly when an HD in an external closure is not seen by the OS it is because the HD is set to cable select not master.

If however the enclosure works OK on another machine then yes you have some kind of USB issue, the easiest cure for this is to remove all USB related items under Device Manager and then reboot, XP will refind the items on bootup and reinstall them.

Please explain your post or let us know if the abvove is of help.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back