Inactive Cannot get rid of Google Redirect virus, computer keeps crashing/Blue Screen of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I hope that you guys can help me out.

I'm running Windows Vista on a Toshiba laptop. I've been able to take care of every virus I've received before this, but this is driving me up the wall. I'll explain what's happening.

It is the Google Redirect virus OR something like it--I tried following steps to fix it, something about a TDSS(?) file, but didn't see anything like it, so I'm not sure if that's it or if it's something similar. When I go to Google and search for things, I am redirected to various bad-juju sites. I haven't tried other search engines. I'm using Firefox in safe mode right now, and it seems to work.

In addition to that, my computer keeps crashing anywhere from 2-30 minutes after it starts up, and I get the BSOD. I also keep getting messages like "Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed." Often, when I try to access the task manager, it gives me a black screen followed by a security error before returning me to the desktop.

Here is what I tried:

Malwarebytes (caught three things, quarantined/removed them)
Housecall Antivirus (caught 0 things)
Hijack This (caught 0 things)
System Restore

I really hope you guys can help me, since I use this computer for work, and I can't afford to replace it or hire anybody right now! Thanks so much for your time!

Welcome to TechSpot! I'll help you find and hopefully remove the malware. As for the BSOD, that can be a separate issue, but we'll see.

Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.
======================================================
Now that I am helping you here, it's very important that follow this:
Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

Do Not Do a System Restore!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back