Cannot Open exe files, TaskMgr, Regedit, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am a new user to this forum and need help. Please see attached HiJackthis log file (I couldn't get the log file to save to Notepad and had to save to WordPad instead).

Problems:

cannot open taskmgr, regedit, notepad, and other programs. Error message: instruction at "0x1003d648" referenced memroy at ....

many exe files won't run. Cannot run downloaded files to repair.

When I clicked on an application via desktop icon or Start/All Programs, sometimes I can briefly see the application starting up but then it gets zapped or blocked and nothing happens.

Firefox won't update to latest version. I removed Firefox and downloaded latest version but cannot execute the installation file after downloading.

cannot open links from Outlook e-mail message. Instead, a window will pop up that says "Locate Link Browser"

Microsoft Office 2003 (Word, Excel) appears to work fine. IE 7 works fine.

Attempted fix:

spybot
ad-aware
Norton scan
bit-defender scan
Spyware Blaster

most of the scans I did showed no infections. Bit-Defender fixed a couple of infected files but they were on my removable hard-drive (WD passport portable hard drive) which I have since re-formatted and disconnected from my PC.

System Info:

Dell Inspiron 5100 Notebook PC (have had this for a few years)
Windows XP Professional

Thanks.

Hello, azuay, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your log, have HJT fix this entry:

O7 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, DisableRegedit=1

This is blocking regedit so fixing it will bring functionality back

These entries can also be fixed because they've been deactivated:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: GhostSurf Privacy Center - {578FC4E3-151E-456c-AF8E-B63061EFE228} - C:\Program Files\GhostSurf\LaunchPCC.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: GhostSurf Privacy Center - {578FC4E3-151E-456c-AF8E-B63061EFE228} - C:\Program Files\GhostSurf\LaunchPCC.exe (file missing)

BEFORE fixing anything, though, follow these instructions on moving HJT to its own folder and renaming the executable file

After fixing these entries, follow these instructions: Virus/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and post your new logs and the result of the Panda Antirootkit scan in this thread as a new reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back