Canon is reportedly prepping a 75MP+ EOS R full-frame mirrorless camera

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Mirrorless cameras are highly desirable due to their compact footprint compared to traditional DSLRs. Early efforts weren't all that impressive in the megapixel department although that's been changing here lately and Canon could really push the envelope with a 75-megapixel shooter.

Canon is reportedly developing an EOS R full-frame mirrorless camera that’ll boast a resolution of at least 75 megapixels.

Sources tell Canon Rumors that an exact announcement date hasn’t yet been decided but it could be revealed as early as mid-2019. Another source added that Canon won’t unveil the camera until at least four or five more native RF mount lenses are announced, one of which is said to be the best landscape lens in Canon’s line-up.

A report last week claimed Canon recently shared a roadmap in a marketing meeting highlighting three unreleased EOS R bodies and five RF lenses. All were slated to arrive before the second quarter of 2020.

Sources also said at the time that Canon has scrapped plans for at least one DSLR in favor of a mirrorless camera. Details weren’t provided although the publication speculates that the axed product could be in the EOS 5DS line.

Canon in September announced the EOS R, a 30.3-megapixel mirrorless shooter priced at $2,999 for the body only. It’s also sold as part of a kit with the RF 24-105mm f/4 IS lens for $3,399.

Permalink to story.

Price will be a huge issue. Canon's prior flagship mirrorless camera was a huge bust because it didn't have better performance/image quality and also wanted more money!

Their entire lineup of mirrorless are seen as second rate. We'll if that can change. Seeing them place R&D priority of mirroless over a DSLR is a good start.

1 st of all we gonna need a screen that can read that format. 7 to 5 mp is high. so the cpu prosessor in that cam could easly overheat. a 8k has 33.1 mp. soo zooming into a 75 mp picture would be more/lesser then a 8k can hanndle. but printing out a 75 mp raw jpg jpeg would have enormous banswidt problem even on a usb 3.1 2 and tunderbolt xx ?
it has to have a airbreather inside to not overheat if it 1 sec and one 75 mp every sec it would be just like watching a fps I 1 fps on 8k tha can only make 33.1 mp.
so doubble that 33.1+33.1 mp and tripple it it would be 3x 8k screenn in one to go over that 75 mp ?

do we gonna needing new printing tec then ?
we see worlds largest MP on internet and to zoom in on the small tings like a man holding a hair pin or somethin you could soom into that and get what shamppo you used and how mutch water that went trough.
just like a terminator zoom width to 5 miles (5000m) and then determ if its sarah connor in target site.

tink about a town and you standing 5km away and you taking a picture and you can zoom into what so ever and get close to targets before you they can see you. just like putting largest telscope to earth and spy on beatch people. creepy but fun.

sell phone with that mp would have a enormous zoom widt to get used in pic zoom.

1 st of all we gonna need a screen that can read that format. 7 to 5 mp is high. so the cpu prosessor in that cam could easly overheat. a 8k has 33.1 mp. soo zooming into a 75 mp picture would be more/lesser then a 8k can hanndle. but printing out a 75 mp raw jpg jpeg would have enormous banswidt problem even on a usb 3.1 2 and tunderbolt xx ?
it has to have a airbreather inside to not overheat if it 1 sec and one 75 mp every sec it would be just like watching a fps I 1 fps on 8k tha can only make 33.1 mp.
so doubble that 33.1+33.1 mp and tripple it it would be 3x 8k screenn in one to go over that 75 mp ?

do we gonna needing new printing tec then ?
we see worlds largest MP on internet and to zoom in on the small tings like a man holding a hair pin or somethin you could soom into that and get what shamppo you used and how mutch water that went trough.
just like a terminator zoom width to 5 miles (5000m) and then determ if its sarah connor in target site.

tink about a town and you standing 5km away and you taking a picture and you can zoom into what so ever and get close to targets before you they can see you. just like putting largest telscope to earth and spy on beatch people. creepy but fun.

sell phone with that mp would have a enormous zoom widt to get used in pic zoom.

What are you on? 75MP is big but you can already get a 41MP phone camera. I'm sure ti will work just fine. And what is a 75 mp raw jpg jpeg? Given printers can't print HDR you'll need to convert to JPEG anyway. Looking online I can find a 10,090 × 6,988 pixels image which has file size: 19.21 MB which would theoretically take about 0.03 seconds over USB3 or in the real world maybe 0.1 seconds.

For the most part, "more" megapixels to not improve the image per se...
where the extra pixels really come into play is taking an image, zooming in and cropping
the photo without losing the small detail.
For example, since most of you don't shoot D-SLR's but pinhole camera sensor phones,
take a photo. Zoom into the photo. See how as you get closer and closer that the image
gets distorted? You can really see the difference if you take say a 10MP camera/phone photo
and take the exact same photo, with a 20MP camera/phone. Zoom in the same amount on
both photos and you'll see less distortion on the 20MP photo, than the 10MP photo.
That is the "main" advantage of more pixels on a sensor.
Obviously, LARGER pixels will gather more light than TINY sensors, but, that is the main
advantage of more pixels in a camera sensor.
On average, an 8MP sensor camera is capable of printing an 11x17 (A3) photo, but, who
prints anymore? I do, but I work in the printing industry, and have free run of printers from
desktop to the large 56" wide printer.

Canon simply blew it. They failed to offer the array of features that their other full frame camera's had for similar prices. They created a new lens mount that requires the buyer to spend even MORE money to use their old EOS lenses and they lost the approval of nearly every honest professional & evaluater out there. They used to be the economical answer to the Nikon world but seem to have lost that mojo and if they don't regain it quickly they may loose a lot more of their loyal fan base. In fact, their recent performance is helping Pentax make a come back .... believe it or not!

75MP is flirting with too large. So few need that sort of resolution, and more would benefit from a large sensor with larger pixels (to gather more light).

The sooner markets can come up with a good "larger is better" metric for dynamic range or low-light performance on a camera, the better. I've grown tired on the MP war.

75MP is flirting with too large. So few need that sort of resolution, and more would benefit from a large sensor with larger pixels (to gather more light).

The sooner markets can come up with a good "larger is better" metric for dynamic range or low-light performance on a camera, the better. I've grown tired on the MP war.

One Q I've always had about more MP vs. low light capability in a large sensor (say, APS-C or larger) is: in a well-exposed low light pic can you reduce the RAW higher MP picture to lower MP and restore some of that signal to noise ratio. Empirically, I think you can't as that signal has already been lost but maybe it's still there once you bin and average those noisier, smaller pixels.

Canon simply blew it. They failed to offer the array of features that their other full frame camera's had for similar prices. They created a new lens mount that requires the buyer to spend even MORE money to use their old EOS lenses and they lost the approval of nearly every honest professional & evaluater out there. They used to be the economical answer to the Nikon world but seem to have lost that mojo and if they don't regain it quickly they may loose a lot more of their loyal fan base. In fact, their recent performance is helping Pentax make a come back .... believe it or not!
The greatest teacher, failure is. - Yoda

I was thinking about this a bit more, and the adapter that can be bought for the EOS lenses would save some users significant amounts of cash in that even though it costs extra to buy it, doing so may save them perhaps thousands by not having to replace what might be a significant collection of expensive and quality glass.

From what I read, AF on the EOS R is spot on. I don't know much about the feature, however, I could see where the improvements enabled by the new mount might contribute to the improvement in AF with the new lenses. I really do not know that the AF performs as well with lenses that have the old mount. As I understand it, the new mount enables a significant improvement in the data rate between the lens and the camera, so my thoughts are that this would have an impact in lens performance - if the lens is able to use the data.

I do not speak necessarily as a well-informed person since photography is a hobby for me, however, I do own two, fixed focal length EOS lenses with the old mount and the combined cost of them is about $2K US. If I am going to spend in excess of $2K on a new body, that would pretty much exhaust my hobby budget and I would opt for the adapter if I bought the a mirrorless EOS body.

As an engineer, I could see where there have been advances in technology. The lenses with the old mount have aged technology, and the lenses with the new mount contain more current technology that may contribute to improved performance. From that standpoint (speaking only about Canon), IMO, it might not be such a bad idea to move to a new mount that enables performance that cannot be had with older lenses and the old mount.

In the meantime, speaking strictly about the optical components and not the mechanical components, many of the L series lenses are arguably of excellent quality. Perhaps you still have to make micro-adjustments for AF errors on the EOS R, however, to me that would be acceptable given that I would not have to replace my entire lens collection.

Back