Can't boot to safe mode

marygg

I'm working on a little Gateway that doesn't have a cd drive and I can't find a style name. The computer was dropped. It boots in a loop of the Microsoft logo and the Gateway logo. Can't get to safe mode and not getting a post beep. It has usb ports. Can I take out the hard drive and slave it to my desktop?

It sounds like when the laptop was dropped the HDD was damaged, i have seen this happen a few times. Even drops from a foot or two can make the HDD useless. IF the HDD that you need to hook up to a desktop is SATA then all you need to do is put it into a desktop that has SATA too. then you could try to recover the data. If the HDD is IDE then you will need a Laptop 2.5" to Desktop 3.5" IDE Hard Drive Adapter Converter like this one for $8

I've got the hdd connected to my desktop and it's being scanned by Malwarebytes. I think that must mean the hdd is working ok. If there is a glitch in the OS, how can I fix it?

Solved. I slaved the laptop hdd to my desk top. I ran several cleaners and reinstalled the hdd. It still didn't work so I hooked it up again and ran another series. I reinstalled the hdd and the os started up fine. I used HijackThis to remove remnants of "Mywebsearch." Thanks for you help. This was the first time I slaved a laptop hdd. I've done desk tops many times. Again, thank you.

Back