Can't find operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonC

Okay, so here is the deal. I have a Gateway m6821, installed with Vista SP1. I was doing factory setting restore because I wanted to clear up some space and everything else i did didn't seem to have much of an effect. That being besides the point..when i was doing the factory setting restore, the stupid battery died. I thought it was full, but i was mistaken. When i plugged it in and turned the computer back on it couldn't find an operating system. I don't have any disks with the computer. But i don't mind ordering them. So if you could fill me in as to what disks i need that'd be great. like..vista disk, recovery partition disk? idk. anyway, i'd love a response.

Oh yea, one more important thing which was very stupid on my part. I used to have a gateway desktop that ran XP. i had a recovery disk with it. I decided hey, even though this is Vista, maybe this disk will work..what harm could it do since the computer is already kinda broken..well, now when i turn on the computer it starts to load the recovery partition or something, anyway long story kinda short, but still long..it now goes to a BSOD after. i don't know if i'll still be able to install the software needed to restore my baby or not...i'd really rather not get a new computer...don't really have the money for that.

When performing an operation like that, you should ALWAYS have your computer plugged in, chances are, a full battery won't be enough.
You will need to go out and purchase a set of Vista o/s disks and reinstall everything.

Thank you for your help. one more question though, since i have to buy the OS disk anyway, would i be able to run Windows Vista SP2? I had SP1, just didn't know if it'd be compatible.

Yes, I would actually recommend running SP2, I don't know of the availability of Vista with SP2 already in it, but you can always upgrade

hey, so..turns out my dad was smart enough to load vista to a flash drive 4 gb. but...how in the world am i supposed to use it boot this computer up.

i loaded the stuff onto another flash drive just incase i mess up the original one trying to get it to work.

originally it was showing "no bootable partition in table"..but i looked up some stuff for this issue and i found i had to format the flash drive. so now when i load it onto the broken pc, it says,
"Starting...

Microsoft (R) Windows Millennium
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

C:\>"
as if i had opened up CMD.exe with a working computer. the only difference is...is no matter what i type it says, "Bad command or file name"

so...now what? im super confused. I asked my dad, and he didn't know..he said that he thought it'd be smart to back up the files, but doesn't know how it'd actually work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back