Can't get Aero to work on Win7

tommy1387

So I finally finished my new build and got everything up and running but I cant seem to get Windows Aero to work. I can select the theme for Aero, but can't get any of the effects. I found a thread on here, https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic151340.html , that had the same exact problem, but not sure what he did to fix it. I also only have the 15 check boxes. My system specs are;

Asus Rampage III Formula
Intel i7 950
EVGA GTX550TI
Windows 7 64-bit

Not sure if anything else is needed. I've already updated windows, made sure I have all the latest drivers and even tried to force Aero to work by doing what was told here; http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/13/hack-to-force-enable-aero-in-windows-7/

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated so that I can get rid of this headache.

Try running the experience index, that might help. Right click (My) Computer and select properties, there should be a option to run the assessment.

Have you tried using the Aero option in the Appearance and Personaliztion of the Troubleshooting option in the Control Panel? When you select Display Aero desktop effects there's an Advanced option which if selected will attempt to apply repairs automatically.

You can also use the Aero troubleshooting tool (once your video drivers are installed). Click the Windows button and type "fix aero" in the search box. You should get somethign that says "Find and fix problems with Aero..." something or other. Run that and it should solve your issue if your computer is capable of Aero.

The article you linked shows you how to enable Desktop Composition the hard way, but Aero is also a theme -- It's more than just that reg key, although that could have been the problem as well.

I tried that before too, it doesn't detect any problems. Not sure how, but after a few reboots the problems seems to have fixed itself. Thanks for the help though.

Well I guess I spoke to soon. Booted up my system today and aero is once again doing the same thing. Please help!

Well I was finally able to fix it. I went into my display properties and changed the color from 16bit to 32bit and that fixed it. Not really to sure why that made such a big difference, but at least its working now.

Also if not already covered,
Start, type 'appearance' (enter)
Tick the button 'Adjust for best appearance'.

This solved my windows aero problem!

1. Open a program called Services. (click the windows flag in the bottom left corner, then type Services in the search field and open the first program on the list)

2. Scroll down the list that appears and right click on a field that says "Themes". Click on properties. On the "General tab" you can see an option that says "Startup type". Click on it and choose "Automatic". Then click the button that says "Start". Then hit Apply...... BIG STEP!!! DON'T FORGET TO "APPLY"!!!!

3. Go back to the big list again and look for a field that says "Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager". Then right-click and choose properties. Then change the "Startup type" to "Automatic" and click the "Start"-button. Then click APPLY!!!

Don't forget to "Apply" after changing the settings!

4. You can now close the windows and change your themes, if not you should try restarting your pc.

I hope this solved your themes-problem!

Gosta

Back