Can't Install XP on Compaq 7000

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielvm

Hi everyone, i have a compaq Presario 7000 (7RPM11), the HD is damaged so i'm trying to install a new one, but i have some problems, whenn i try to format the disk within the XP's installation software, the system show a message indicating that Windows couldn't format the disk, i tryed Fat32 and NTFS using fast format and normal format, nothing works, i connect the disk to other machine as slave and i fromated the disk the i connect the disk to the machine again but the installation says that the partition is unknow and if i try to reformat i get the same error that before, i change the disk controller with the cd controller and it doens't work either i use the recovery console to format the disk but the installation program still says the partition is unknown, i use two brand new never openned hd from diferent capacities and both report the same thing.. After that i try to install win200 and it install good, but if i try to upgrade to XP i get a Blue screen when the pc reboots (Stop 0x00000024) what can i do??? i think i tryed everything.... HELP :confused: :confused:

Thanks...

PD: sorry about my english but i speak spanish

Very strange that this happens with more than one hard drive.

Make sure the System is up to Spec - follow this Compaq Support Page.

You may want to update the BIOS to the latest version and see if that helps.

Thanks CBH, this PC has an

INTEL PIV 1.4GHZ
256MB RAM
HD 40GB
CDRW

I have already updated the BIOS to the newwest version from compaq and it didn't work... :confused:

Thanks Matticque, when i connected the drive as slave in my pc i ran a full scandisk and none error was detected, besides this doesn't explain why i can't install XP or upgrade to XP from a win2000 installation... i'm using a new disk without partition and i couldn't format the disk for XP installation....

pd: please let me know if i'm missing something, but i don't see what's teh relevance of this Microsoft article to my problem....

Thanks

You did say this was happening with more than one hard drive?

Is the Hard Drives fitted as Master or Slave on the Primary IDE? Make sure to install as Primary Master and the CDRW as Secondary Slave.

Also in the BIOS check the first boot device is set Primary Master.

You may also want to run a debug on the hard drive (easiy done) and try the reinstall but again if this problem is happening with more than on Hard Drive I would think this wouldnt make a difference.

Hi Guys, thanks fo your replys but i still can't find a solution to my problem, i don't know what to do next, i have been fixing and reinstalling machine for quite so long and something like this never happend to me before....

Thanks

OK that config is good.

Have you tired using a different IDE Cable for the Hard Drive? Its a long shot.

The only thing left I can suggest is to do an FDISK, Debug and setup a new partition on the Hard Drive.

Here is the Debug Script

Thanks everyone and sorry for the delay in my answer, i have installed win2000 because the pc wasn't mine and i need to reinstall some microsoft OS like XP so i try w2k and it works until now, thanks for all your help

XP Installation

I have the same computer and had no problems with XP Pro.
Windows cannot format itself, because it is written on that Hard Drive.
You have to put bootable XP installation CD into CDROM, then turn off computer. Next you start computer again. You will see promt "Push button (do not remember which one) to boot from CD". You have to push that button to perform "Clean Installation". Follow instructions on screen. Installation will format HD and install Windows.

Hope it will help.

Alex

Hello Alex and welcome to TS. May I suggest you check the dates of the previous post before replying to them. There is really no sense in resurrecting a 4 month old thread. :)

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back