Trying to install Windows 10 on Dell Vostro running Windows XP

I am a senior who collects old computer gear from other seniors, expunges all their personal data from it and then donates it to a charity.
I am a Mac user who knows just a bit about Windows - one who is learning a lot about windows as I try to install Windows 10 on this old Dell.
I have been totally defeated in my efforts to install Windows 10 on this Dell Vostro so far.
I have downloaded the .iso file for Windows 10, burned it to a CD, learned how to access the BIOS and set up the computer to boot from the CD.
When the Dell boots, the optical drive grinds away for about 10 seconds, the M/S logo flashes briefly then I am faced with a black screen and a blinking cursor.
None of the keys on the keyboard seem to do anything. I have searched and searched and searched and can't find anything that works and would be deeply grateful for anyone who has the time to offer any suggestions I might try.

I neglected to mention this:
I found these instructions on the M/S site:

If you want to install Windows 10 directly from the ISO file without using a DVD or flash drive, you can do so by mounting the ISO file. This will perform an upgrade of your current operating system to Windows 10.

To mount the ISO file:

1. Go to the location where the ISO file is saved, right-click the ISO file and select Properties.
  2. On the General tab, click Change… and select Windows Explorer for the program you would like to use to open ISO files and select Apply.
  3. Right-click the ISO file and select Mount.
  4. Double-click the ISO file to view the files within. Double-click setup.exe to start Windows 10 setup.
I followed these but when I go to Properties > Change "Windows Explorer" was not listed. Listed were only M/S programs that were not designed for this task: Adobe, Internet Explorer, Excel, etc.

I've recently done the reverse and bought an old mac mini to try Mac OS. It's a big change to get your head around. Try to mount the ISO in Windows using Virtual CloneDrive which is a free download. You may need an old version with XP. Be aware that XP is extremely light on resources compared with W10. I moved backwards from W7 Starter after trying W10 on a netbook. It flies by comparison when running XP.

Back