Cd-Rom and Dvd-Rom no longer being recognized...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ831

Ok so I tried hooking up a Laptop hard drive to my pc with a generic jumper I bought on ebay....As soon as I did this (my pc is a a1477c), my computer shut off and when I restarted, my pc no longer recognized my CD-Rom or Dvd-rom...Both show up in the device manager, the cd-rom reports its working great and the dvd-drive has an exclamation mark - with the error, "This device cannot start (Code 10)".....On the My Computer window, only the cd-rom shows up and when I insert a CD, it says "E: is not accessible. The request cannot be performed because of an I/O device error"...so neither works....I talked to HP and they ruled out a motherboard issue because it boots up and works fine. However, they had no clue what to tell me....I reinstalled the OS with an external dvd drive i had and it still had the same problem. HP said it might the "IDE Channel selection"? My question is........How do I reset everything back to factory settings? I'll reformat again if I have to...but how do I reset the bios and just everything so it's back to factory settings? Do i have to get a new CMOS battery? I'm soo lost as to what to do next....I've already tried a brand new upgraded DVD-ROM and I still have the same problem...Help!!

As for the BIOS you can implement the default settings by pressing, I think, F10. Your BIOSshould give you the option of default settings.

Did you change out that generic jumper? Could part of your issues be faulty cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back