CeBIT: ASDL Modem (supports symmetrical ADSL) and Router from Thomson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

From http://www.cebit.de/21508 :
With its products Speed Touch 330 and Speed Touch 610 the French manufacturer Thomson presented two new ASDL gadgets at the CeBIT.

The modem Speed Touch 330 is a USB ASDL modem for the home user and it shall be launched at the end of the second quarter of the year. The Speed Touch 610 is a DSL router that will be available in three diferent versions in retail. The ST 610 is laid out for ADSL via POTS, the ST 610i for ADSL via ISDN and the ST 610s supports symmetrical ADSL. The three gadgets provide for example PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) and an integrated firewall. In the second half of the year the gadgets will be launched in Germany.

Symmetrical ADSL... Double the bandwidth by using multiple ADSL lines? Is this signs of a BT (British Telecom) type superhighway by using dual lines.
No more firewall software.... these new releases are to feature built in firewalls.

Originally posted by Arris
Symmetrical ADSL... Double the bandwidth by using multiple ADSL lines? Is this signs of a BT (British Telecom) type superhighway by using dual lines.
No more firewall software.... these new releases are to feature built in firewalls.

Quite nice, but wouldn't Symmertrical ADSL be SDSL (Symmetrical DSL)? I just can't get that to fit... If it's Full-duplex, then 'bout bloody time..
If it's only dual ADSL, then ... ok... quite nice... what were you talking about ? ;)

Seriously, there's nothing to stop you from bundling 2 lines today, common in norway, nor is there any reason for ADSL to be half-duplex instead of full-duplex, so I can't really see too much new in this device...

Oh, well...
.02$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back