Checking for Genuine Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techno-Viking

Ok, i found out that my windows xp are not valid...
After my pc was in the store for repairing, they formated it and installed a win xp from a 3rd party...it was ok, i tried to validate it on genuine microsoft software page by updating a product key which i have on back of my laptop...so i dled the software for updating the key and i typed the key which i am using for like 5 years now and it says like the key is not valid ?!?!?!?!
How can this be possible ? Its on back of my laptop with EAN code on it and everything...
Dunno where to contact microsoft support, i wanna send them e mail, even a picture with a paper next to it where i would write what they tell me , just to see that i am not faking...
New win xp are expensive thou...150 bucks is a lot of money =\
Any1 can help me ?

You have been done a mischief by your repairer. It is their responsibility really. If your original PC was a mass-market (e.g.) Dell, then that is what the XP registration refers to. and I believe the registration number will not work with another 'generic' XP install.

You have a case against the repairer to get your PC registered. They should either register it for you using the appropriate registry number for the XP version they installed (and give you a new sticker to match), or they should give you written evidence of what they used so you can approach Microsoft to explain why you can no longer register. If MS are happy with the explaination, they will issue a new key, no problem.

As it stands, there is a suspicion in my mind that your 'repairer' is operating illegally.

i knew it...gonna sue them...whata bunch of mofos...
i was already there cuz of "BSOD's dropping down like rain" thread with a baseball bat...
can't wait for monday

don't sue them just yet, mate, see if they will sort it first

if they don't want to fix it for you then take them on, it will look better for you and worse for them if you can say that you approached them and they refused to sort it out for you

yes...
hmm...tell me one thing...is WIN XP PRO key different than the WIN XP HOME ?
i checked my other laptop and on the back of it , there is also a key...
when i install XP PRO ...can i enter that WIN XP HOME key ?

a key can only be used once unless you have (for example) a dell pc and a restoration disc and the key that was registered with that pc, you won't be able to use that key on another pc

so the repairers only re-formatted it in an attempt to fix it? If so, then your original key should suffice......as long as it was legit in the first place and the hardware hasn't changed.
BUT, its up to you to supply them with a valid cd-key in the 1st place. You should by 'law' of microsoft have the windows genuine sticker on your case, so that your cd-key is with the pc always. Lol, you can't just use the key from another machine (ie. a laptop), whether its yours or not. They are NOT transferrable, unless you have the full retail boxed product.
Its a dumb rule my MS, cos in their eyes, if you change your case then you need to buy a new oem OS. Although, nowdays they do use discretion in these instances.
I have to ring them plenty in my job, just to get Os's and Office products re-activated, so i come across this all the time.

k.jacko said:
so the repairers only re-formatted it in an attempt to fix it? If so, then your original key should suffice......as long as it was legit in the first place and the hardware hasn't changed.

He says the key is stuck on the case, like always. Seems to me the repairer just used a retail CD to reformat, instead of using the onboard recovery that is universal on laptops. Perhaps there was a good reason for this, like the HDD had to be changed, taking the onboard recovery with it.

Just as likely, the repairer is incompetant and wiped the drive....seems to me there is more to this than meets the eye.

gbhall.....agree with you there, matey, sounds dodgy to me too.
Although from the OP, i read that it was his 'pc' (desktop?) that was in for repairs and that he wanted to use the cd-key from a 'laptop' to activate it. Unless i understood it wrong of course. :rolleyes:

k.jacko i have 3 laptops and 1 pc (Desktop)
now...i had on my desktop win xp home and i used the key from one of the laptops when i installed it...
but when they were "tryin" to fix my pc...they installed win xp pro...thats the problem...
tbh, whats the difference with win xp pro and home ?

XP Pro has more networking functions, ie. you can join a domain. XP Home cannot.
Other than that there aint much difference to be honest.
XP Home would be fine for general networking in a WORKGROUP.

Back to your bit about using the key from your laptop for the os on your destkop. Its totally possible to do, but i bet you had to contact MS to activate it correctly (unless its a bootlegged cd key), its just contravenes the rules of the EULA, so you are breaking their licensing agreements. If you care about that sort of thing. ;)

i think those keys were never registered online ...if there is such thing...
its silly dont you think, NOT TO USE THEM...when i have them : )))
and no, i dont care...cuz they dont care about us... so...1:1, draw ! :D

Lol, absolutely matey. I agree with you, i was just stated their policy on it.
Actually 'activation' and 'registration' are 2 separate things.
You HAVE to activate your OS otherwise your pc will lock you out after so many times of asking. Registration is optional, and i've never done it, cos thats when MS get all your personal details.....bugger that!
As I.T. Manager at my workplace i'm supposed to comply, but whether i want to or not, keeping track of user licences is a ball ache i don't enjoy! And its scandalous what MS expect you to pay for!
VIVE LA REVOLUTION! :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back