China leads the US in the research of 37 out of 44 critical technologies, claims think...

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: The Biden administration might be limiting China's ability to manufacture advanced chips, but according to an independent think tank, the Asian nation is still ahead of the US when it comes to research in 37 out of 44 crucial and emerging technologies, including AI, defense, and key quantum tech areas.

Insider reports that the Canberra-based Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI) believes China has a "stunning lead" over the US when it comes to high-impact research across the majority of critical and emerging technology domains.

ASPI lists some of the areas where China leads the US as defense, space, robotics, energy, the environment, biotechnology, artificial intelligence, advanced materials, and key quantum technology areas.

The think tank notes that for some of these technologies, the ten leading research institutions are based in China and are collectively generating nine times more high-impact research papers than the second-ranked country, which is usually the US. What could be especially worrying for America is that two areas where China really excels are Defense and space-related technologies. ASPI writes that China's advancements in nuclear-capable hypersonic missiles took the US by surprise in 2021.

How is China so far ahead? Some of it is down to imported talent. The report notes that one-fifth of its high-impact papers are being authored by researchers with postgraduate training in a Five-Eyes country (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States). However, most of China's progress comes from deliberate design and long-term policy planning by President Xi Jinping and his predecessors.

The near-term effects of China's lead could see it gaining a stranglehold on the global supply of certain critical technologies, while the long-term impact could result in the authoritarian state gaining more global influence and power.

The ASPI recommends that governments worldwide collaborate to catch up on China. It recommends technology visas, 'friend-shoring,' and R&D grants between allies. It also notes the benefits of more funding for these sectors, and suggests governments consider restricting the movements of researchers who are experts in certain fields as "recruiting personnel to lead research programs in, for example, defense-relevant technologies in adversarial states poses a clear threat to a country's national security."

In related news, it was recently reported that Chinese companies are filling warehouses with chipmaking equipment in preparation for further export restrictions by the US and other countries. We also heard it is planning to launch 13,000 satellites to suppress and spy on Starlink.

Permalink to story.

If not for China being expansive and authoritarian country treating citizens as resources, I wouldn't mind. But with China actively attacking and overtaking ethnics groups and whole nations, claiming neutral territories and seas, trying to rewrite history of nations around and blackmailing others around to do so as well I really hope other countries will stand united to ensure we wont get "citizenship index" anytime soon...

The US has been falling behind for years. Until the Govt. and states stop interfering with education we will continue to decline. High standards are necessary and the ellimination of "fluff" courses manditory. Special exemptions for athlete's and similar "options" must be elliminated and an insistance on a universal grading and evaluation system is sorely needed. Also, Federal education systems should be standalone, free from any influence from outside political persons, parties or financial backing with the focus on education and education alone. Persons or organizations attempting to interfere should be held accountable legally and financially.

Evaluation of teachers should be left to the local authority and local authority leadership held directly responsible for their district's performance. Low performance = manditory termination. Popularity contests wiill not be considered. Maximum performance = financial incentive and those caught attempting to skirt or cheat the system should be prosicuted without exception.

Manditory successful completion of courses in math, science, literature, finance, critical thinking, civic's, basic law with passing grades in all necessary to graduate. Those that quit or flunk out will be immediately assigned to basic technical courses and those that fail at this level will immediately be assigned to a Work Programs doing all menial tasks as assigned & directed. If a person "wakes up" and decides they want to better themselves, they will be provided the opportunity to do so and progress one level at a time with no limit to how far they may climb. The idea is to reward hard work and success.

Private institutions shall be allowed, but their measurement will be on the same level with expectations to be greater. Rewards will be the same and anyone attempting to "game" the system be held legally and financially liable.

Harsh? Absolutely, but that's what is required for the US to regain it's leadership role. Nothing less will do.

Last edited:
Interesting that China is leading in scientific research. When a country makes more scientific discovery and innovations than US, this contradicts all what US govt, in bed with US tech corporations, are whining that best China competitors are a threat to their 'security' which suddenly become a 'national security' because China is 'stealing' US technology when In fact this is about US corporations started to lose hard to the competition.
And all of this while the same US corporations are spying and stealing data and people personal information from the entire world, including their citizens.
After US corporations lost their unfair advantage on the market, they suddenly realized that they do not like free market and competition anymore, and started to pull US govt strings (read lobby) to impose 'sanctions' to the competition and even ban them from the US market.
What they fail to understand is that in time, this will increase the US isolation, first from Asia (which is one of the biggest market), and after from the entire world.
Instead of whining and competing unfair, US corporations should start innovating again as they did until 2000, but this means that all these greedy US corporation and their 'investors' should invest money in scientific research and educations. And it seems that they are not willing to do this. Instead, they want infinite money as profit from a finite market and resources.
And what is more dramatic is that this kind of fractured logic makes those US corporations the biggest 'security' threat to the rest of the world.
Another sign that US corporations are losing to the competition, regardless of country, is that in the last years, US corporations started a lame, but annoying and aggressive 'political' propaganda against foreign competitors (especially if they could not buy them), and sometimes even between them.
Most of tech websites are flooding readers with this lame false 'political' propaganda, instead of focusing on tech and new discoveries and innovations.
Because of this, the quality of info and articles started to decrease in an alarming way.
Nowadays, there are so few tech websites which do a good job of what they should do from the start, to present tech news, benchmarks and stimulate innovations, fair competition and true free speech as an open and civilized debate. The number of trolls, some of them which are paid to sabotage tech forums, are increasing too.
Even so, I am glad that TechSpot are among these valued tech websites, which mainly focus to give us amazing quality content.

Last edited:
The US has been falling behind for years. Until the Govt. and states stop interfering with education we will continue to decline. High standards are necessary and the ellimination of "fluff" courses manditory. Special exemptions for athlete's and similar "options" must be elliminated and an insistance on a universal grading and evaluation system is sorely needed. Also, Federal education systems should be standalone, free from any influence from outside political persons, parties or financial backing with the focus on education and education alone. Persons or organizations attempting to interfere should be held accountable legally and financially.

Evaluation of teachers should be left to the local authority and local authority leadership held directly responsible for their district's performance. Low performance = manditory termination. Popularity contests wiill not be considered. Maximum performance = financial incentive and those caught attempting to skirt or cheat the system should be prosicuted without exception.

Manditory successful completion of courses in math, science, literature, finance, critical thinking, civic's, basic law with passing grades in all necessary to graduate. Those that quit or flunk out will be immediately assigned to basic technical courses and those that fail at this level will immediately be assigned to a Work Programs doing all menial tasks as assigned & directed. If a person "wakes up" and decides they want to better themselves, they will be provided the opportunity to do so and progress one level at a time with no limit to how far they may climb. The idea is to reward hard work and success.

Private institutions shall be allowed, but their measurement will be on the same level with expectations to be greater. Rewards will be the same and anyone attempting to "game" the system be held legally and financially liable.

Harsh? Absolutely, but that's what is required for the US to regain it's leadership role. Nothing less will do.

Private schools can teach and do whatever they want as long as it's the same general subjects. Edu rules don't matter for the wealthy.

A lot of "could be" and "I think" are important, meanwhile they use the internet, x86 systems and western technology.

To be honest so far this has all just been a waste of money. China leads so much that it needs to steal IP from western companies lol, in addition to having grown at the cost of investment from western corporations, now they bite the hand that feeds them. Pathetic. Exactly what is expected of an alienated dictatorship.

Last edited:
A much more telling study was done about 10 years back by the US intelligence apparatus. They determined that at least 85% of all supposed home-grown Chinese tech innovations were based on stolen IP, most of it obtained from US-based schools and companies. When you have people like the president of Harvard's chemistry department on the Chinese miltary's payroll, that's entirely believable.

This is what happens when one of the two political parties in the US takes a firm multi-decade long anti-science stance fueled by oil company donors and lobbyists. It's so sad to see the most powerful country in the world held back by some of the world's dumbest people.

I more or less agree with you, however, I think that if the grade 1 - 12 education system is anything like what it was when I went to school, it needs to be completely revamped. Math/science were trivialities for me that bored me half-to-death. I was bored so much that I literally stayed home, giving my Mother an excuse of a sore-throat, for 70-days of my 11th grade year (instead, spending 5-days of the total time putting together a Heathkit 21" color TV - far more interesting for me). In that year, I took the highest level trig and geometry math, and the highest level chemistry courses. My geometry math teacher told me that if I did not study, I'd fail the final exam. I'm not sure which is which, but on the math finals, I scored 92/100 and 93/100, and on the chemistry final 85/100 - without really doing much studying on the geometry exam. While I doubt anyone would call those genius level scores, the quality of the education system, if any student can pass with such good scores after missing literally something like 1/3 of the school days from the school year, was far from optimal - at least from my perspective.

So my story is not necessarily a success story, and I ended up taking my state's GED exam. Years later, when I went to an independent study college to earn my degree - after not being prepared to do college work for my 12th grade year, I was told by one of the admissions counselors for that college that those scores were among the highest GED scores they had ever seen.

I will never know what I might have achieved if the education system knew how to handle me, however, it's my opinion that it was, then at least, massively ill-prepared to handle me and what I was capable of.

While it is important not to get complacent and underestimate others, I'm also going to call bull on this.

When you take into account that China have stolen and lied so much, as well as not actually showing that much working advanced technology; it's quite easy to conclude most of this is a bluff.

It doesn't surprise me. All of the worlds top universities have been full of Chinese students for the last 10 years or so, because they can pay the big bucks required for privatised education. The western 'democracies' have an attention span measured in months. China looks to the next 50 years.

Back