Chinese scientists working on Coronavirus treatment identify "extremely effective" antibodies

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: With the number of worldwide Covid-19 infections having passed 850,000 and the death toll above 42,000 the race is on to find a cure or vaccine. In China, a team of scientists says it may have taken a step toward that goal after it found several antibodies that are “extremely effective” at blocking the virus from entering human cells.

In an interview with Reuters, Zhang Linqi at Tsinghua University in Beijing said his team and a group at the 3rd People’s Hospital in Shenzhen began collecting blood samples in January from patients who had recovered from Covid-19. They managed to isolate 206 monoclonal antibodies that have a “strong” ability to connect with the virus’ proteins.

The scientists found that out of the first 20 antibodies they tested, four were able to block the virus from entering human cells, while two were “exceedingly good” at this task.

The team is now trying to identify the most powerful antibodies and combine them to reduce the chances of the virus mutating.

The antibodies could be used to create a drug for at-risk people, preventing them from contracting Covid-19. If all goes well, it could be tested on humans in just six months. Reuters notes that it normally takes around two years before a drug is approved for use on patients, but the process could be expedited due to the pandemic.

“The importance of antibodies has been proven in the world of medicine for decades now,” Zhang said. “They can be used to treat cancer, autoimmune diseases and infectious diseases.”

If you want to help find potential cures for Covid-19 and other diseases, contribute your spare computing power to the Folding@home project, which recently exceeded 1.5 ExaFLOPS of performance.

Permalink to story.

Convalescent Serum therapy could help severely sick people.

They take the blood plasma from people who recovered from Covid-19 and inject it into a sick person. The antibodies help jumpstart their immune system.

Considering everything (age, comorbidities, etc), I am very glad to see the development of something more effective than aspirin.

look at my avatar photo
Yeah you got that weird overpriced alienware case...
I know the difference between a gamer chair and a racing bucket. Was just pointing out the funny fact that gamer chairZ show up when legit trying to find actual racing seats.
..you did it call it a "racing chair" when it clearly is not meant to be bolted into a car.

Yeah you got that weird overpriced alienware case...
I know the difference between a gamer chair and a racing bucket. Was just pointing out the funny fact that gamer chairZ show up when legit trying to find actual racing seats.
..you did it call it a "racing chair" when it clearly is not meant to be bolted into a car.

I don’t consider a tetrahedron “weird” and I also don’t consider it overpriced.

The Core i9 Extreme and 2080Ti I upgraded to was overpriced however.

Given that there is yet another report of a Wuhan whistle blower missing, I am surprised the Chinese government is letting these scientists say anything at all.

IMO, this is pure propaganda intended to make the Chinese look good again. :poop: by any other name is still :poop: :rolleyes:

Tucker has been on a rant about this and the US media carrying their propaganda for two days. Oh, and they closed another province.

Since serum antibody medicine is old news (I can remember the banks and hospitals asking for plasma donors back in the HIV explosion days), the only 'new' thing here is "exceedingly good".

With more and more suspicion showing about the Wuhan 'viral research' labs being the starting point for this "new" virus, I'm actually not surprised the great Chinese medical industry 'discovered' this lifesaving medicine so quickly.

but that's just me.

I don't think the whistleblowers, suspicions and any proof will make any difference, since the mainstream media will never report it or investigate it. What they can't ignore, they'll just label as "fake news".

At least where I live, outside of the lamestream media and official government position, everyone knows the virus came from chinese labs. You speak with neighbors, friends, relatives, or even making small talk with people you just met or listening to other people talking about it, it's what everyone suspects. Many suspect it wasn't an accident, either.

So far I have heard of vitamin C via I.V. and Chloroquine being used to treat people.
I wouldn't recommend Chloroquine. One person died from trying it and it put another person in a critical condition in hospital. Recent studies show that Vitamin C doesn't help for anything, not even for boosting your immune system.

It's amazing how superstitious and quick to believe the human race still is. You'd think we'd have learned by now.

I wouldn't recommend Chloroquine. One person died from trying it and it put another person in a critical condition in hospital. Recent studies show that Vitamin C doesn't help for anything, not even for boosting your immune system.

It's amazing how superstitious and quick to believe the human race still is. You'd think we'd have learned by now.
What I heard about the person that died from Chloroquine is that they used a version for fish tanks and not medicinal.

As for the, "Vitamin C doesn't help for anything" I do disagree with that. I think scurvy has already proven that.

one person? you understand chloroquine is in short supply because of hundreds of thousands of people buying it? There are side effects with other common drugs:
  • tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), cimetidine (Tagamet), iron products, isoniazid (Nydrazid), kaolin, magnesium trisilicate (Gaviscon), methotrexate (Rheumatrex), niacin, rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane), and vitamins and herbal products.
  • tell your doctor if you have or have ever had liver disease, G-6-PD deficiency, hearing problems, porphyria or other blood disorders, psoriasis, vision changes, weakness in your knees and ankles, or if you drink large amounts of alcohol.

Since 2005
11.JPG

12.JPG

What were your credentials again for saying about superstitious and quick to believe?

What I heard about the person that died from Chloroquine is that they used a version for fish tanks and not medicinal.

As for the, "Vitamin C doesn't help for anything" I do disagree with that. I think scurvy has already proven that.
Ok, I grant you that. The body needs small doses of Vitamin C to help its immune system to function. Scurvy is the lack of Vitamin C, so an orange or orange juice is good there. You should be getting that through a normal diet. But the fad of taking Vitamin C supplements, many of which boast of being equivalent to 20 oranges (2000mg) is pointless. There is no evidence that such a dose will prevent you getting even a common cold, never mind the coronavirus, and it could even be harmful in some cases. Yet many people take the supplement daily "to keep colds away".
Source: https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-vitamin-c-myth.html

What were your credentials again for saying about superstitious and quick to believe?
I have no credentials other than what I read online from sources that look trustworthy, such as: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/could-chloroquine-treat-coronavirus/
Which says:

Should I start taking [chloroquine] to ward off coronavirus?

Absolutely not. Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine have not been appropriately evaluated in controlled studies, not to mention that they have numerous and, in some cases, very deadly side effects.

Back