CM Hyper 212 Plus to Corsair H60 - worth the upgrade?

Alpha Gamer

I'm considering the upgrade above. The problem is all the reviews on both coolers were made with different cpus at different overclocking settings. I even tried to narrow the comparisons to a common denominator, like the intel stock cooler, which is sometimes present in most reviews, but even then, different cpus were used, making the info not that reliable. After some reading, I understood that the H60 is more silent and, obviously, occupies much less space, win-win situation. But regarding the performance, the info is rather cloudy.

Does anyone know anything on the subject?

I'm considering the upgrade above. The problem is all the reviews on both coolers were made with different cpus at different overclocking settings. I even tried to narrow the comparisons to a common denominator, like the intel stock cooler, which is sometimes present in most reviews, but even then, different cpus were used, making the info not that reliable. After some reading, I understood that the H60 is more silent and, obviously, occupies much less space, win-win situation. But regarding the performance, the info is rather cloudy.

Does anyone know anything on the subject?
Personally I have played with H60's and Hyper212's and they both offer very similar performance. I would not count that as a worth upgrade except if you want a more silent system because the Hyper212 is already such an excellent air cooler and the H60 is kinda a low end liquid cooler.

Based on my experience, the same clock on the same chip result in the H60 (The only time I tested something like this was on a Phenom II X6 1100T at 4.0ghz) being a tad bit more silent, but the overclocking headroom remains the same for the most part (Within margin of error).

If you really want to move to Liquid cooling or upgrade for better clocks and a more silent system. Either an H80 style cooler or H100i (Or a likes AIO Liquid cooler) would be the best solution to go from a Hyper212.

Personally I have played with H60's and Hyper212's and they both offer very similar performance. I would not count that as a worth upgrade except if you want a more silent system because the Hyper212 is already such an excellent air cooler and the H60 is kinda a low end liquid cooler.

Based on my experience, the same clock on the same chip result in the H60 (The only time I tested something like this was on a Phenom II X6 1100T at 4.0ghz) being a tad bit more silent, but the overclocking headroom remains the same for the most part (Within margin of error).

If you really want to move to Liquid cooling or upgrade for better clocks and a more silent system. Either an H80 style cooler or H100i (Or a likes AIO Liquid cooler) would be the best solution to go from a Hyper212.

To be honest, I prioritize silence over higher clocks, and getting rid of that huge brick on top of my cpu would please me a lot. And if my reading is correct, both H80 and H100i are a tad louder than the H60.

So, as long as the H60 had at least the same performance as the Hyper212, I'd gladly replace it. I just didn't want to do the wrong move regarding temperatures.

Edit: Right now I have two fans on my Hyper212. Replacing it for the H60 would definitely improve my noise levels.
This experience you mention with both coolers, did the Hyper212 have two fans?
I mean, with two fans the Hyper212 could probably outperform the H60. LOL

Last edited:
To be honest, I prioritize silence over higher clocks, and getting rid of that huge brick on top of my cpu would please me a lot. And if my reading is correct, both H80 and H100i are a tad louder than the H60.

So, as long as the H60 had at least the same performance as the Hyper212, I'd gladly replace it. I just didn't want to do the wrong move regarding temperatures.

Edit: Right now I have two fans on my Hyper212. Replacing it for the H60 would definitely improve my noise levels.
This experience you mention with both coolers, did the Hyper212 have two fans?
I mean, with two fans the Hyper212 could probably outperform the H60. LOL

Yes the Hyper212's have been both for rigs for friends using dual fans (2 of the 3 experiences with friends at least). In all honesty its going to depend on fan speed and what overclocks you have as to what the noise levels will be on the coolers. The H60 with a single fan (Which both cases ive built/worked on a system that had them had 1 fan) is not the strongest liquid cooler on the planet however it delivered good quiet performance on the Phenom II X6 I tested it on without needing to ramp up to far. It really only became loud on a AMD A10-6800K that was overclocked to 5.0ghz with a GPU overclock to I believe 850ish range (Can't remember, been awhile since I looked at that friends machine) and the fan under game load (BF3 and League of Legends) had to spin up to keep the temp below 70 to near 80%+/- on BF3 specifically. At that point it was still quieter than a Hyper212 (To my ears mind you) but the Hyper212's were normally dual fans already revved up for overclocking.

As far as an H80 goes, they tend to be pretty quiet as well with dual fans mostly because even on my friends i7 3770k that he has at 4.5ghz it never really spins up to loud. Same for my friend who I overclocked his i5 3570k on an H100i but both are very loud at 100% fan speed.

I would say your going to get a decent overclock on an H60 while keeping the machine quiet, just do not expect to push your chip to the limits with the H60. I would prefer a Hyper212 for the extreme overclocking levels or since I like liquid probably grab an H80i or H100i.

Yes the Hyper212's have been both for rigs for friends using dual fans (2 of the 3 experiences with friends at least). In all honesty its going to depend on fan speed and what overclocks you have as to what the noise levels will be on the coolers. The H60 with a single fan (Which both cases ive built/worked on a system that had them had 1 fan) is not the strongest liquid cooler on the planet however it delivered good quiet performance on the Phenom II X6 I tested it on without needing to ramp up to far. It really only became loud on a AMD A10-6800K that was overclocked to 5.0ghz with a GPU overclock to I believe 850ish range (Can't remember, been awhile since I looked at that friends machine) and the fan under game load (BF3 and League of Legends) had to spin up to keep the temp below 70 to near 80%+/- on BF3 specifically. At that point it was still quieter than a Hyper212 (To my ears mind you) but the Hyper212's were normally dual fans already revved up for overclocking.

As far as an H80 goes, they tend to be pretty quiet as well with dual fans mostly because even on my friends i7 3770k that he has at 4.5ghz it never really spins up to loud. Same for my friend who I overclocked his i5 3570k on an H100i but both are very loud at 100% fan speed.

I would say your going to get a decent overclock on an H60 while keeping the machine quiet, just do not expect to push your chip to the limits with the H60. I would prefer a Hyper212 for the extreme overclocking levels or since I like liquid probably grab an H80i or H100i.
The H80i is available in my region, I'm going to start considering this possibility. Would you know if it fits my chassis properly? It's a Shinobi Window, (not the XL version)
Thanks for the attention so far.

The H80i is available in my region, I'm going to start considering this possibility. Would you know if it fits my chassis properly? It's a Shinobi Window, (not the XL version)
Thanks for the attention so far.
Well first I love that case, great case in general almost bought the HF edition of it.

The difference between an H80 and an H60 is mostly just the radiator thickness. Its a huge difference between them for the cooling prowess of the two. It should have a spot to fit in that case in the rear or top depending on where you want to mount it. Should not have a problem with that, and the fans will spin up a bit faster (It says up to 2700RPM versus 2000RPM on the H60). Your case should have plenty of point to mount the H80i just fine.

Well first I love that case, great case in general almost bought the HF edition of it.

The difference between an H80 and an H60 is mostly just the radiator thickness. Its a huge difference between them for the cooling prowess of the two. It should have a spot to fit in that case in the rear or top depending on where you want to mount it. Should not have a problem with that, and the fans will spin up a bit faster (It says up to 2700RPM versus 2000RPM on the H60). Your case should have plenty of point to mount the H80i just fine.
Yeah, I thought so.
Thanks for your time.

Back