Colossal ‘Hole’ in Space Could Be Link to Universe Beyond Our Own

Archean

Colossal ‘Hole’ in Space Could Be Link to Universe Beyond Our Own

void-shutterstock-102742250-WEBONLY-500x450.jpg

Leave this world, travel 6 billion–10 billion light years toward the Eridanus constellation, and you’ll run into a giant cosmic wall of nothingness.

A void in space 1 billion light years across stumped scientists when it was discovered in 2007—then another void spanning 3.5 billion light years was discovered in 2009. These voids cannot be explained by the current understanding of the universe’s structure and evolution.

So, three cosmologists, an engineer, and a banker are speaking at a conference. The only thing they have in common is that they don't know something significant about the product they are trying to sell to donors in the audience.

The banker is selling some new derivative. When asked about where he sees it in 15 years, he says that he doesn't have a crystal ball, "I don't know."

The engineer, pitching some new composite material, runs into the same problem. When asked if the new composite has marine applications, he says they have yet to conduct rigorous tests; that's why he needs the money. "Very simply," he concludes, "I don't know."

Finally, the cosmologists walk onto the stage trying to get more grant money. They explain that they have absolutely no idea what they've been looking at over the past eight months and need more money to continue their star gazing. The crowd of donors is unconvinced. After an awkward silence, one of the cosmologists remembers what she had learned in a marketing class she took as an undergraduate elective at Stanford. "I've got this!" she confidently exclaims to her concerned colleagues. Turning to the mic, she addresses the skeptical donors: "We have found the imprint of another universe."

The only people who went home that day having not raised any money were the banker and the engineer.

Back