Comcast reaches speeds north of 4 Gbps with latest 10G modem test

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Comcast has successfully tested a Broadcom 10G modem that delivered upload and download speeds north of 4 gigabits per second (Gbps). The full duplex DOCSIS 4.0 system-on-chip (SoC) cable modem used in the test was a prototype, and was connected to a lab-based hybrid fiber-coaxial network. Comcast said it was the first complete network connection of all-DOCSIS 4.0 components required for deployment.

The ISP further noted that DOCSIS 4.0 will be compatible via the connections already installed in hundreds of millions of homes worldwide, so that’s one less thing to have to worry with in terms of infrastructure support.

Comcast’s results are certainly impressive, but it’s just the tip of the iceberg. As developers refine the technology, speeds are expected to increase significantly. After all, the name of the initiative is 10G, and their ultimate goal is to deliver Internet speeds of 10 gigabits per second.

Comcast has made meaningful progress on the project as of late. For comparison, a similar test in October 2020 was only able to reach consistent speeds of 1.25 Gbps up and down over a residential connection.

Unfortunately, Comcast didn’t say when the 10G service might be ready. Considering they haven’t quite reached the half way point of the project’s speed goal, it could be a while longer before the service becomes commercially available. Those seeking the fastest connection possible will have to settle for whatever is available in their area at the moment. For me personally, that looks like 1200 Mbps.

Permalink to story.

"The ISP further noted that DOCSIS 4.0 will be compatible via the connections already installed in hundreds of millions of homes worldwide, so that’s one less thing to have to worry with in terms of infrastructure support."

Compatible? Sure. However, I hope people realize that the ISPs will have to upgrade their entire infrastructures before they can actually deliver these kinds of speeds.

And here in Britain, we're just about thinking of rolling out 150Mbps to a small percentage of the tiny country.

1gbps is already a doable speed from nearly all major cable providers by now, it isn't cheap. And always as a top tier price. While 200mbps is more is the base speed for most cable users now. I just can't wait till they make 400+ the base speed for a cable connection TBH.

Growing up I was impressed when 20mbps became a thing, downloading on a 56k modem. Then a sub 1mbps dsl connection, cable internet at 10mbps was crazy. Then their rapid movement to 20mbps speeds was awesome. Wasnt long before 100mbps was the standard and sat at that speed for nearly a decade. I'm just glad cable speeds are on the tend up again.

Problem with even going past 600mbps is routing capabilities. If you have a router doing anything more than basic routing tasks, moving past 600mbps requires a pretty decent gateway.

Aaaannd you just reached your monthly cap.

Comcast should do something useful and remove the data cap limit or at least extend it to 2TB. It's too easy to hit 1TB, especially when you have a family of 4+ people and it's summer time or kids are forced to do distance learning for school.....way too easy to hit 1TB of data.

Come on Comcast, do something that'll actually benefit your customers.....

Comcast should do something useful and remove the data cap limit or at least extend it to 2TB. It's too easy to hit 1TB, especially when you have a family of 4+ people and it's summer time or kids are forced to do distance learning for school.....way too easy to hit 1TB of data.

Does Comcast actually enforce their data caps?

I have Spectrum so I've never had to worry about it.

But it is really easy to use over 1TB of data in a single month when everything is streamed. Nearly everything is streamed at 4K video wise, and a few simple game downloads or updates can easily be upwards of 100gb+ on a single day.

My Unifi Dashboard has me over 1TB every month like clockwork.

Aaaannd you just reached your monthly cap.
Funny that you mention this, a 1 minute speed test at 10Gbps uses 75GB.
already used 6% of the cap right there...
"The ISP further noted that DOCSIS 4.0 will be compatible via the connections already installed in hundreds of millions of homes worldwide, so that’s one less thing to have to worry with in terms of infrastructure support."

Compatible? Sure. However, I hope people realize that the ISPs will have to upgrade their entire infrastructures before they can actually deliver these kinds of speeds.
Comcast will wait to upgrade until it's too late for them. I don't think they will make it to 2030 honestly. They already are having issues with doing node splits, causing oversaturation of their nodes. Upgrading their entire infrastructure will be too costly for them because they didn't prepare... oh well. I don't feel sorry for Comcast. I think in the near future, it will be fiber for all buildings and fiber-backed 5G which is a lot cheaper to deploy

I use around 500-600GB just on myself so it's definitely not enough.
Does Comcast actually enforce their data caps?

I have Spectrum so I've never had to worry about it.

But it is really easy to use over 1TB of data in a single month when everything is streamed. Nearly everything is streamed at 4K video wise, and a few simple game downloads or updates can easily be upwards of 100gb+ on a single day.

My Unifi Dashboard has me over 1TB every month like clockwork.
I don't think Comcast enforces the cap in northeastern US since there is heavy competition from other ISPs, but they enforce the 1.2TB cap mostly everywhere else in the country. I am also a spectrum user but their no data cap deal with the FCC ends 2023. If they add a data cap in 2023, I will just move or cancel service or just use 5G which has much faster uploads for me.

It's hurting folks that do game streaming as well
Google Stadia 4K needs 20GB/hr, GeForce Now 16GB/hr

Streaming 4K video uses 7-30GB/hr
Don't get me started on 8K lol.

And until the price of that Gig speed tier comes WAY down and more competition rolls into the areas, it will be prohibitively expensive, it already is in my area. I have the 1Gbs tier, which is only around 40Mbs up, and it's around $150/month. It was cheaper 3 years ago when we moved in as a new address. Without competition, it's a pointless endeavor, the people that need it won't be able to afford it.

Good luck! Did you look at their rap sheet?

Blah blah comcast has been doing this for years in a labs. Bring something to market already people on cable been suffering long enough.

Yawn this is so last year here in little old NZ we have 8Gbps symmetrical with true unlimited Data
What kinda of speeds do you see once the routing leaves NZ?

One reason I chose fiber optic and not cable was because of the power requirements. A single fiber can provide continuous internet access to my home miles from the nearest substation, even in a power failure. Cable is only as good as your proximity to the routers…one power failure and you’re SOL until it’s restored.

In other words we will spend a few mins a year on this project and let it fester unless some other company competes with us........................... Wait...In other other words we will include HALF-LIFE 3 free with this purchase plan.

There's that modem rental addon package that also removes the cap. Since we do a LOT of streaming since we got rid of cable TV and went to streaming services, we basically took that route. We use btwn 2-4TB of data a month. Mostly from streaming, and also a large chunk from downloading from game libraries.

There's that modem rental addon package that also removes the cap. Since we do a LOT of streaming since we got rid of cable TV and went to streaming services, we basically took that route. We use btwn 2-4TB of data a month. Mostly from streaming, and also a large chunk from downloading from game libraries.

I don't trust Comcast to not screw something up. I had too many headaches with their BS and customer service. One happened to be with rental equipment issues that wasn't my problem, but a problem on their end......

The data cap is BS in this day and age. Comcast showed everyone that there was no issue with removing the data cap for about an 8 month period when the lockdowns started and until around the end of 2020.

They just put data caps as another way to milk money from people. Unless they can prove it otherwise, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I don't trust Comcast to not screw something up. I had too many headaches with their BS and customer service. One happened to be with rental equipment issues that wasn't my problem, but a problem on their end......

The data cap is BS in this day and age. Comcast showed everyone that there was no issue with removing the data cap for about an 8 month period when the lockdowns started and until around the end of 2020.

They just put data caps as another way to milk money from people. Unless they can prove it otherwise, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

My grandma past away a few years ago. COMCAST in CT charged her internet service and router and she doesn't have one and she doesn't even know how to use a cell phone.This was in Fairfield, CT. Now my blood is boiling again. COMAST always finds a way.

I mean, great, now you can have 4 Gbps via your coax cable (at least on the PoC level).

In the meanwhile, fiber is at 800 Gbps.

This is legacy tech and has been for the past decade.

OTOH I can't imagine anyone requiring more than maybe 500 Mbps for average uses. You might have 1 Gbps available, but no server will give you that kind of download speed. I have 1 Gbps, but both my XSX and PS5 always stay below 500 Mbps, heck, below 200 Mbps most of the time.

So as long as they can use the existing infrastructure to provide higher and higher speeds, it's fine I guess.

And this is why I haven't gotten my own modem and router with Xfinity yet. If I return the rental, I lose the Unlimited option, unless I pay ANOTHER $30. So remove the rental, - $20, add the luxury of having Unlimited back, + $30, I'm paying $10 MORE than I started. It's not worth it, even for the ability to completely control my internal network.

Which is another issue I have with Xfinity's router combo. If the cable portion goes out for some reason, like a line down or upgrades, I can't even access my own internal network. It shuts down the switch portion as well, that's just stupid.

While it was shown to be technically able to be done, they never will because pocketbooks, not ours but the Execs and shareholders. Xfinity also removed the data caps on the mobile phone service, but CAPPED the data rate at which you could download during the day. Even on the "upcapped" plans, during "peak hours" it would throttle bandwidth to ridiculously low speeds. I couldn't even get YouTube or Twitch to play in anything higher than 120p, maybe 240 if I was lucky during my lunch break. It was so stupid.

My grandma past away a few years ago. COMCAST in CT charged her internet service and router and she doesn't have one and she doesn't even know how to use a cell phone.This was in Fairfield, CT. Now my blood is boiling again. COMAST always finds a way.

Not to be insensitive, but if Comcast managed to charge a deceased person for a service they don't have, you might want to check and make sure she hasn't been voting in Connecticut since then either. We all know that happens, don't @ me.

Back