Comp wont play videos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midgetmax

I recently tryed to play a video that i had downloaded on my computer a while ago in winamp. when i opened it up, winamp came up, but no video screen, so i manually clicked the video button, and it was black. i tryed pressing play and it did nothing. so i tryed opening a different video and same thing happened. i then tryed opening a video in windows media, and an error popped up forcing me to close wmp. im pretty fluent with compuers so i ran spyware and virus scans, and they came up with nothing, and i have no idea why my computer wont play any video i through at it. and help? im running winXP home, Radeon X1300, 1gig RAM, 2.2 Ghz Athalon XP 3200.

you may need to see if your videos are in a proper format for playing. find a video and right click and see what type it shows. for example is it avi, mp3, mp4, divx etc, or in your case, wma - windows media file format.

its not the format of them, i have checked that. most of these videos i am trying to play i have played before.winamp does not do anything when i press play. i am going to try the new player that u suggested though, and i will get back to you on how that goes. thanks for the suggestions guys, im open to try anything at this point.

hmm, well i was surprised to see that VLC worked. weird that it still wont play on winamp and WMP...

VLC is universal :) i still find it strange that you could view those videos with winamp/wmp before. maybe you've downloaded some updates of these programs? all i can think of is that maybe you've change files associations. in this case you can go to options->preferences on winamp and check the 'file types' section.

You could also try and download Xvid, most newer video files are using mp4's and maybe the codecs where just removed or corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back