Comparing 2 processors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to build a new gaming PC, and I'm currently doing my research.

Which one of these would be the better choice if I want to play high quality demanding games with great fps, response time, and little lag?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

or

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115003

They are both about the same price, and both may perform similar. Which would any of you hardcore gamers out there suggest?

I'm probably going to go with the Intel Core 2 Duo. If this is the best choice, what then mobo-wise would be good to look at? I do want to get an SLI mobo in case I want to buy a second video card in the future and put it in there.

Graphics card = GeForce 8800GTX (unless other suggestions)

Mobo will be based on the processor I get. I want it to be SLI featured, so in the future will have the option of adding another video card. Depending on how things look today with these processors (Intel Core 2 Duo, me thinking is better) what mobo would be good to go with?

Graphics card = GeForce 8800GTX (more than likely unless there are other suggestions)

I'd say get the Core2Duo, and overclock the hell out of it. They seem to be made for overclocking, and they'll eat any AMD CPUs for breakfast once overclocked.

Be prepared to spend some money on cooling equipment. If you want to compare at the same price range, getting an E6420 and spending the money saved on third-party cooling, and then overclocking it to 3.2ghz or more will perform far better than than the X2 6000+.

the CPU is only a small part of the equation. The Graphics card and RAM are the most important consideration.

Go to tomshardware.com and read their reviews.

Hmm.... If you'd ask me to choose between putting money into CPU or RAM, I'd say CPU really. There's only so much you can spend on the RAM.

Also, he's already getting the second fastest GPU out there today, so thats out of the equation.

Just make sure you pick up at least 2gb of 800mhz RAM (assuming you're sticking with DDR2). DDR3 is too new a technology today, and with all new technologies, still unstable. We'll probably jump on that bandwagon later, but splurging for DDR3 will not show any considerable advantages over DDR2 for sometime.

Tedster said:
the CPU is only a small part of the equation. The Graphics card and RAM are the most important consideration.

Go to tomshardware.com and read their reviews.

I realize that the cpu isn't the only part of the equation. I have been considering every single part of my computer in the "equation." I'm asking if it were a choice b/t those 2 processors, what would most of you hardcore gamers out there go with. These 2 processors are not the only thing I'm looking at splurging on in my computer "equation."

Intel Core 2 Duo will more than likely be my choice. Now I'm going to look at some good high quality mobo's compattible with that processor. Any suggestions? I will more than likely be putting 4 gb's (2 x 2 gb modules) in there. More than likely will be Crucial or Kingston modules (probably Crucial).

nickc said:
The Intel Core 2 Duo E6800 Conroe would be faster.

That was so ridiculously funny I literally burst out laughing.....

Not only he is talking about the wrong thing, try looking for an E6800 out there. I know there are X6800, but E6800?

And if we're talking raw power, you've still for the Quads to play with....

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back