Computer crashes after windows xp loading screen. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have basically no computer knowledge, but I will describe my problem to the best of my ability. The other day my cousin came over for a barbeque, he is supposably the family computer genius so I let him on my computer. He started editing the registry, saying he was removing so called "viruses". I have no knowledge of what he added/removed to/from the registry during this time but when I next went on the computer after he had left (all he did after editing the registry was exit the registry editer) I was unable to click on any of my desktop short cuts or the buttons on the menu bar such as start. I then rebooted by holding the power button thinking everything would be fine but the computer froze after the windows xp loading screen, showing the screen where you login to your account, except with only a windows xp logo in the middle of the screen, no login tabs. I tried rebooting numerous times but the problem persisted. I have no idea where to go from here. If any extremely smart and computerly talented people have any ideas about solving my problem, please explain in full detail, as I have only basic computer knowledge. I may not be able to answer any questions you have for several days as I can only do this at a friend’s house now. Thanks for reading this and I apologise for any bad spelling/grammar. I am only fourteen years old.

When you first turn the computer on hold down the F8 key,a screen will come up with several options,choose last known good configuration,then I think you get another screen to choose which operating sytem to use,you'll only have one so just press enter.

quite a mess!

Hi!

I am afraid that I learnt the hardway!
It is VERY hard to fix the registry once it has been fooled around with without the proper knowledge.

There is a command line perimeter that you can enter in DOS that restores the Registry to one of the backup's it makes, but its quite complicated if you don't know what you are doing!

The easiest way out of this mess is formatting and re-installing windows.
I don't know if there is some software out there that will be able to help you.

But I would say the best is to format and re-install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back