Computer Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help!!

I just moved and my computer is now not working. It was working fine at my old house. Now when I start it up cold everything loads fine and it runs fine for about 10-15 minutes then it crashes. Once its warmed up it won't even post when I'm trying to turn it on. I'm not quite sure what the specs of my computer are w/o turning it on and at this point I'm afraid to do that much in fears of frying something.

Oh one other thing that may(and probably is) relevent. The room that its in only has one plug...which I have to use an industrial strength extention cord to reach my power strip. There is only a small chance that it can be moved anyplace else in this room. As at this point the only router in the house is not wireless. Once we get one of those my computer will be moving to another room...very close to the wall adapters.

Thanks for your help,

Daryn

How old is your computer? First guess would be that the thermal pad between your CPU and heatsink was crusty and the move broke the seal. If that's the case, it is very easy to fix you up. You'll need some new thermal paste though.

Here is a good article on how to go about things.

Before you do that though, first remove your ram and then reinstall it. It may simply have come loose during the move. In fact, do the same with all the cables that are coming out of your PSU was well as any PCI cards, IDE cables etc. Just make sure everything is connected nice and tight. (Be sure to unplug your system before you go in there, and to ground yourself as well).

If that doesn't fix you up, then my guess is you need to reseat the CPU.

Good luck!

i had this problem a while back with voth of my cpu's on both i simply reformatted my HD, BUT!! on one of them i cannot get to reformat for some reason. the bug made it impossible to DL all .dll file in the windows setup and i this is still ongoing 2day. this happened last christmas

Thanks for the help folks. I did what you said and reseated pretty much everything. When I plugged my computer back in I heard a snap inside the case and my PC died. I can't even power it on now. I'm not real concerned however it was time for me to upgrade to a newer, faster computer anyway:giddy:

Daryn

Sounds like your PSU has called it quits on you.

Are you going to be building your own new computer? Recommended if you have any tech sense at all. Nowadays it is quite easy!

I'd thought about it but I don't really have the time to right now. For the next 3 months I'll be working about 70 hours a week and with 3 kids in the house all of my extra time goes to them. I built my 2 previous computers and they were great, but this time I'm just going to have a local company build me a custom computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back