Computer Disk Configuration Problem [I think!]

Greetings:

I'm so glad found you, maybe you've seen this before:

When I turn on my computer it starts a normal bootup cycle then goes to a black screen with white typeface saying;

"Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07
Dell DM051 Series
BIOS Version A07

Driver not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-0 (PRI IDE Master)
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run setup utility"

Striking F1 gives me a look alike screen saying;

"Which operating system do you want to start:

Windows XP Media Center Edition [High-lighted + Enter does nothing]
Windows XP Default" - [This takes me to a normal Windows XP Media Center boot-up cycle.]

With the knowledge that the two front USB Ports with headphone & mic input jacks [I think it's a bad modual that I can not find] are unhooked from the mother board.
Can someone tell me how to configure the set-up utility so I have a normal bootup sequence?

Daddyman1951

To help you troubleshoot a problem, your computer has four diagnostic lights labeled "1," "2," "3," and "4" on the front panel. When the computer starts normally, the lights flash. If the POST portion of system boot completes successfully, all four lights display solid green. If the computer malfunctions during the POST process, the pattern displayed on the lights may help identify where in the process the computer halted.

I suspect that all four are green? If not, please clarify.

If I read your specs correctly, your boot drive should be a sata drive, not pata.
This may mean that your system cannot find your sata drive and so is looking for another alternative.
Have you attempted the following?

Starting the Dell Diagnostics From the Optional Drivers and Utilities CD
  • 1. Insert the Drivers and Utilities CD.
  • 2. Shut down and restart the computer.
    • When the DELL logo appears, press <F12> immediately.
    • If you wait too long and the Windows logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Then shut down your computer and try again.
    • NOTE: The next steps change the boot sequence for one time only. On the next start-up, the computer boots according to the devices specified in system setup.
  • 3. When the boot device list appears, highlight IDE CD-ROM Device and press <Enter>.
  • 4. Select the IDE CD-ROM Device option from the CD boot menu.
  • 5. Select the Boot from CD-ROM option from the menu that appears.
  • 6. Type 1 to start the ResourceCD menu.
  • 7. Type 2 to start the Dell Diagnostics.
  • 8. Select Run the 32 Bit Dell Diagnostics from the numbered list. If multiple versions are listed, select the version appropriate for your computer.
  • 9. When the Dell Diagnostics Main Menu appears, select the test you want to run.
    • I would suggest... Express Test

If you try this, please note when you get to Step 3...
  • What devices are listed?
  • What device is at the top of the list?

Back