BSOD on normal boot with new memory in Dell DM051 XP Home SP3

Greetings,

I have been having trouble installing 2 new 1.0 GB memory in slots 1 and 2, keeping existing 2 256 MB memory in slots 3 and 4 (starting with 4 256 MB boards and removing 2 256 MB boards).

Initially I received a Stop 0x0000001A error with MEMORY MANAGEMENT, then subsquent boot showed 0x0000008E error.

PC:
Dell Dimension 5150 (everything original)
(4) Dual In-Line Memory Module 256, 533, 32X64, 8, 240, 1RX16
(1) Hard Drive, 160G, S2, 7.2K, 8M Lead Free, WD-HAWK
(1) Processor, 80547, Pentium 4 Prescott Dt, 630, SKT-T, Male

Running:
Windows XP Home 2002 Service Pack 3
Recently performed windows update
Recently updated BIOS to A07 (from Dell site)

History:
PC was working, but seemed slow so I purchased (2) 1.0 GB Memory boards from Crucial. Popped them in slots 1 and 2, leaving old memory in place in slots 3 and 4. First attempt, was able to start windows (boot processs saw new memory, <F1> to continue) and verified memory by looking at "my computer" properties. Shortly thereafter, I experienced a crash with blue screen.

Next Steps:
On subsequent restart, windows peformed tests and corrective measures, but soon thereafter crashed with STOP: 0x0000008E. Note, I experienced a "crash window" of McAfee at start up, even though I didn't think I had any McAfee loaded or running (nothing listed in Add/Remove Programs, either).

Used system restore to take PC back to prior state (a few days earlier), loaded old memory back in and everything seemed fine. I downloaded new BIOS (moving from A02 to A07), and created a new restore point.

Loaded new memory and experienced blue screen stop before Windows log in appeared. MEMORY MANAGEMENT Stop: 0x0000001A. I replaced new memory with old and restored to prior point. Upon some additional research, I removed all McAfee software using their removal utility (MCPR.exe). Created new restore point. Everything seemed fine.

Loaded new memory again. Upon some additional research on Windows site, I booted in Safe mode. Things seemed stable. Changed MSCONFIG settings for a Clean Boot with no SYSTEM.INI or WIN.INI, no Startup Items and only Microsoft Services. Things seemed stable (didn't do much, but did run Internet Explorer for a few minutes). Changed MSCONFIG settings for a Normal Boot and system crashed before Windows log in screen with Stop: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x8054B10D, 0xA7c44B50, 0x00000000).

I am looking for the next step!! Thanks.

Did you just try the 2 new 1GB memory modules in slots 1 and 2? Are they DDR2 533MHz speeds?

New Memory Spec

(2) 1GB 240-PIN DIMM 128Mx64 DDR2 PC2-5300 (per invoice).

Thanks! I have not tried just the new memory alone, but will do that next. I will also make sure the memory itself matches what I ordered...

If XP is 32-bit it will only see a little over 3GB total system memory. It may be necessary to raise the memory voltage in the bios if you can, especially if you install 4 memory modules. The motherboard might not like mixing 2- 1GB modules with 2- 256MB modules

Failure with only new memory

I tried the system with only the new memory in slots 1 and 2, and no memory in slots 3 and 4 and it failed.

Stop encountered before windows started: c000021a Fatal System Error.
"The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000)."

Crucial provided some memory testing files. I plan to restore windows to a stable point, boot in safe mode with new memory loaded and attempt to test memory.

"I plan to restore windows to a stable point, boot in safe mode with new memory loaded and attempt to test memory"...

Good luck, but I think this is a hardware fault dealing with the motherboard

Memtest86+ Fail

One one think this has to do with some driver since when I booted in Safe and also clean, the system seemed to work.

I removed all four old memory boards, loaded 1 new 1.0 GB board into slot 1 and booted on the Memtest86+ CD and wham-o, red lines of errors all day.

Now I am doing the same process on the second new 1.0 GB board in slot 1 and Memtest86+ is running. Just getting started, but no errors like the other one.

Seems too easy. I may test the first one again (make sure it wasn't just seated poorly), then call Crucial on Monday.

Back