Computer does not register network adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonreflexabilit

In task manager on Networking tab, it says No Active Network Adapters Found. However my ethernet ports show the orange and green lights on. In the control panel under network connections I see my two connections. Looking at its status, under activity the picture of the monitors and cables is grayed out. One has sent 11 received 0. The other has sent 24 and received 23.

This prob occurred as my brother was torrenting and Bitcomet had a tab that brought up an option to increase half open tcp connection limitation. He changed the mbps from 10 - 20. After boot up it would not detect my network adapters. Under Device manager i can still see that they are enabled however.

Assuming you are using cable modem/router, reboot them, your connectivity to them got hosed, turn them off a minute each then restart cable modem, then router, if applicable.

Check/reinstall the drivers for the adapters. If drivers are missing or hosed there's no logical connection path between the Windows info for adapters and the physical adapters.

Check Device Manager. Also check no unknown devices listed in Device Manager

/***************** EDIT ***********************/
Assuming you are using cable modem/router, reboot them, your connectivity to them got hosed, turn them off a minute each then restart cable modem, then router, if applicable.

If connectivity loss to modem or router Windows will show an adapter as Unconnected or other issue. Adapters will still appear in Windows under those conditions

Other computers in the house get internet, but I'll try the cable modem reset anyway. Ive already tried reinstalling the drivers.

Excuse me if this sounds like a dumb question.. but do need to make sure all bases are covered.
You said you installed all the drivers
1. Do you know / have you verified you're installing the right drivers?
2. Have you looked in Device Manager when done to verify the all installed properly and are running?>

From research done on other message boards, here are a couple of posts that may shed light on what happened when your brother did a mod to the "half-open tcp connections" setting:

Background: www (dot) p2pforums (dot) com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=32557

"How To": www (dot) niharsworld (dot) com/2007/12/22/optimize-torrent-client-for-faster-torrent-download-speeds/

Looks like this is a popular hack to increase download performance among torrent users, and the hack is usually done with a utility provided by one of the torrent download sites. It modifies a Windows system file, tcpip.sys. So this file change (which is *not* a driver file associated with your network adapter but a system file) may have caused your issue.

If so, you want to restore the original tcpip.sys file. How to do this depends on the Windows OS version you have.

Another thing you might also try, which has worked for me many times in the past when having network adapter related problems, is to go to Device Manager and simply Uninstall the malfunctioning device listed under Network Adapters section (right-click to get this option). Then reboot, and Windows will locate and re-install the driver. If you have uninstalled all adapters that use TCP/IP then it's possible that Windows might also put the original TCP stack settings back in place for you (although I think that's pretty iffy...)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back