Computer hanging, monitor goes black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting yesterday my computer freezes every couple minutes. Most often this is accompanied with the monitor going black for a couple seconds. Redraw problems are also occurring. This has happened in the past but only for ~30-40 min. and after a reboot or two, it went back to normal. Now, I can’t work.

I have a feeling that this has something to do with LogMeIn. I used it a lot the day before the problems started and this has also happened the day after using it to work remotely.

I uninstalled LogMeIn and have canceled most of the process that I can identify, but the problem persists. I uninstalled NetMeeting, since it was the last new program I started messing around with before the problems started.

Any help would be appreciated. Let me know what other info would be helpful and I'll gather it.

Below is my computer:

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 2047 MB
CPU Info: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz
CPU Speed: 2908.2 MHz
Sound card: SB Audigy Audio [CCC0]
Display Adapters: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400 | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD |
Screen Resolution: 1600 X 1200
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Intel(R) PRO/1000 MTW Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport |
CD / DVD Drives: E: HL-DT-STCD-ROM GCR-8483B | F: SONY CDRW/DVD CRX330E |
Default Printer: Acrobat Distiller
COM Ports: COM1 | COM2 |
LPT Ports: LPT1 |
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 149.0GB | D: 372.6GB |
Hard Disks - Free: C: 135.2GB | D: 360.3GB |
USB Controllers: Detected: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Detected: 2 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Make: Precision WorkStation 470
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 05/18/05 | DELL - 7 | |
Battery: No Battery

So, I got the problem to stop - but now have a problem of avoiding it in the future.

I uninstalled the NVIDIA driver and rebooted. It reinstalled the driver and the hanging, redraw and monitor problems went away, but if I change the setting to 1600 x 1200 [high color] the problem comes back.

Is the card bad?

Is your monitor able to support 1600X1200, most LCD won't, but if you have a CRT you should be ok. Try reducing your refresh rate to 70Hz. Update your mobo chipset drivers.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a CRT - a Dell M993s, which says it's optimal preset is 1280 x 1024 at 75 Hz and highest preset resolution is 1600 x 1200 at 75 Hz.

Even at the optimal, I'm getting the problems. It's only if I don't touch the setting, does it act normal.

I've never updated mobo chipset drivers. Is there a good guide you could point me to?

just download file with drivers, save it on PC and execute it, same as with any driver really, nothing to be afraid of :D
Bios flashing is bit more complex but no need for that right now.

If DELL is sayig that optimal setting 1280 x 1024 at 75 Hz I would not go above this. puke: DELL is surprisingly well considering their lamest support and poor quality of CRT monitors. At least yours did not burn down fly back transformer 13 months after purchase.

I updated my chipset drivers - no change.

If I uninstall the video driver and then reboot, my desktop will reset to 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz (ouch) but if I try to change the settings it goes nuts.

Dell is send me a new video card - after I install it I'll let you al know if it helped.

I installed the new card and everything seems great.

I'm still a little weary about reinstalling LogMeIn. But I kinda need it.

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back