Computer refuses to boot OS from CD

Im sorry if this is in the wrong place... but thanks for your help... I just built a new computer. i did everthing right in connecting it all and getting compatable parts and all that stuff... When i turn it on it asks what i want to boot from. i click on my CD/DVD drive which has my Windows 7 disk in. then it just sits for a second and says not a bootable device please pick another device... what do? ive tried everything in my bios to make it read the disk but it wont. any guesses on what to do?

Also make sure the CD/DVD drive is top of the drive sequence in the bios. And check that the bios date and time is as correct as possible - all sort of weird things happend if the date is wrong. Most early problems start at the bios level. What does the bios make of your CD/DVD drive for instance? Does it show the correct description, and is there a setting to confirm the drive is bootable?

The exact specification of your motherboard might help us. The HDD just might be the drive it is moaning about, so is that on the same channel, also correctly identified?. Presumably it is completely empty, un-partitioned and unformatted ?

Failing some setting you missed, the next thing would be elimination - try the CD/DVD in a friends PC - it is not unknown for a new one to be faulty.

Back