Computer restarting/ freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is in the right forum.....

For about the last year, my pc has been restarting, sometimes when im just on the comouter like on the net, but usually in games. It has really started to get on my nerves as i can seomtimes onli get about 15 minutes before it reboots. The most i have got before is about an hour or 2 before this happens. Here is a list of games it restarts on :

Final Fantasy XI
The sims 2
Silent hill 3
The movies

It has restarted on a few others aswell. Im starting to think it could be a voltage problem, as i have ruled out the possility that it could be a memory propblem as i have run the test twice and no errors. I downloaded Sppedfan and here is what it says:

Vcore1: 0.78V
Vcore2: 1.28V
+3.3V : 1.58V
+5V : 4.09 V
+12V : 16.32V

-12V: 4.01V
-5V : 4.05V
+5V : 6.85V
Vbat: 2.03V

I have no idea what any of this means, but i figured somebody could tell me if it could be a voltage problem from this. Also, i thought it could of been a temperature problem.
When my computer is Idle, the mainboard temp is about 22-26C, but sometimes when im just listening to music and surfing the net, take now for instance, Speedfan says that the temp is 39C. So I think it could be a Temperature problem aswell.

Here are my system specs:
Windows XP home edition
40 GB hard drive
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
1.53 GHZ
512MB RAM

My Graphics card is :
RADEON 9550 AGP (0X4153)
Internal DAC (400MHz)
128 MB

So i would more than happy if somebody could help with this annoyance.

Kyro said:
Im starting to think it could be a voltage problem
It is most likely a weak PSU, but it's not a voltage problem, it's a current problem, your PSU cannot provide the proper amperage to supply the CPU, Video Card, and other components when using system intensive applications such as gaming

Kyro said:
Also, i thought it could of been a temperature problem.
When my computer is Idle, the mainboard temp is about 22-26C, but sometimes when im just listening to music and surfing the net, take now for instance, Speedfan says that the temp is 39C. So I think it could be a Temperature problem aswell.
That is too hot for a motherboard to get, it should stay around 25ºC~30ºC, how hot is your CPU running?,

even though you're running too hot, an overheating system would cause a random shutdown, not a reboot, lack of power causes reboots.

Ok, thank you for the help, do you think i should by a new psu and a fan also just to cool things downa bit?

I forgot to ask before... when your machine restarts, do you get a blue screen and/or error message first? even for a quick second or two? This might indicate a different problem (i.e. memory or video card/driver problem). If not, then a new PSU is the first thing that your problem points to as the cause.

as far as the system temp is concerned, you're using a software monitor, they are not very accurate. unless you feel alot of heat coming from your board, them i wouldn't worry about it.

When it restarts now, yes i get a bluee screen, becuase i unheked this thing on a setting somewhere on my computer which was to turn off automatic rebbot after error, also i am almost certain its a power supply problem as its a Codegen 300W,and Codegen are apparently one of the ****tiest power supllies ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back