Computer running slow. Windows 8 pro

Hi all,

I have a custom built PC that I built about a year ago. The past couple of weeks I have been having intermittent issues, but the past week it has been more consistent. It all really started when my computer had a hard freeze and I had to do a cold restart. When the computer restarted it went to a boot screen asking me to enter a boot disk and press a key. I turned the PC off and booted it again and windows loaded without a problem.

Now, the PC is not freezing, but is running generally slow. It will take it forever to load some applications like word, chrome, and others. The funny thing is if I play a game off of steam I am not having any issues (I have verified with FRAPS) the games are on a different hard-drive. I have tried several troubleshooting steps.

I ran a virus and malware scan, and both came back negative.
I ran memtest86+ and I got no errors.
All of my PSU voltages look to be good and are stable.
I used can air to clean all of my fans and other components.
I have monitored all of my temps and they appear to be good.
I ran HD Tune and I did have some damaged blocks, but it (and a couple of other HDD programs) say the drive is in good health.
All of my drivers are up to date.
I checked all of my cabling and it appears to be secure.
I replaced the cable for my SSD

The only thing I haven't tried is wiping the hard-drive and re-installing windows (I don't think it is windows).

I am at the point that either the SSD really is bad or perhaps my MB is going out. Any ideas?

Specs:
Windows 8 64 bit
AMD FX 4170
AS Rock 990FX Extreme 3
AMD Radeon HD 7850
4 GB of Ram
120 GB Kingston Hyper x SSD
1 TB samsung HDD

Thank You

I have tried using the Kingston SMART software, but it will not recognize my drive. I ran chdsk on the SSD and windows is returning no errors.

I looked over that article briefly and I have heard about this. I will read it fully and look into that as a possibility.

The computer has been working fine all day today. Maybe I have an ESD damaged piece of hardware. I haven't always taken the necessary precautions.

Thanks

Back