Computer runs but nothing happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

disciple

I had my computer running this morning; I turned it off due to me losing my broadband connection. When i turned it back on, there was no post beep yet everything seems to be running (all fans on / mobo light on) There is no HDD activity and I've got nothing on my monitor. HELP PLEASE!!!

So id your HDD not spinning at all?

And I have had this problem before. You said your cable/dsl connection wouldnt work, then your monitor wouldnt show anything. Sounds like your mobo could be fried, but you said you are getting signs of life from that.

And are you using a VGA card or onboard graphics?

Tmagic650 said:
What are your system's specs? Emachines?

P4S800D-E MOTHERBOARD
P4 2.66
2.00GIG OF RAM

Usb isn't working, harddrives are definitely on but HDD activity showing.
It's definitely something to do with the mobo because i've checked all the other bits. I've tried resetting the cmos but with no results

I'd try another power supply first. It's cheaper than a motherboard and you can keep it for use with the new motherboard, if one is needed

OK. heres an update. My usb ports ARE working, I used my controller and it lights up; the led on my mobo is on. HDD seem to be on (they are vibrating) All fans are running. I am really beginning to think my CPU has died. Any conclusions anyone?

Replace the motherboard before you suspect the CPU... If you replace the CPU first, you may just have wasted your money

I Have a Question....

You've got 12V +(fans)
You've got 5V + (USB)
Do you have 3.3V + ?
Do you have 12 V - ?
Still could be the PSU.

I was and am still having that same issue... Are you getting no response from keyboard and mouse as well? I just replaced my mobo and processor and it's doing the same thing, I already replaced the power supply before that so I'm not sure what is going on here. Don't know if it's my vid card but that really doesn't make sense if the keyboard and mouse aren't responding and I changed everything else. Could it be the harddrive? .. I don't know what else to try at this point. It's getting costly and frustrating.

Pnazz said:
I was and am still having that same issue... Are you getting no response from keyboard and mouse as well? I just replaced my mobo and processor and it's doing the same thing, I already replaced the power supply before that so I'm not sure what is going on here. Don't know if it's my vid card but that really doesn't make sense if the keyboard and mouse aren't responding and I changed everything else. Could it be the harddrive? .. I don't know what else to try at this point. It's getting costly and frustrating.

I'm still not sure myself yet; Keyboard and mouse are not responding. A friends bringing a second PC around today or tomorrow so that i can check all my components properly. The oldest components on my pc are the cpu and one of the hard drives so it could be one of them. Having to use another friends Pc just to type this and boy do i miss mine. Either way i should know what's going on in a couple of days

I ordered a new Video Card to try that approach, I have a new harddrive here so I will try to install that but I still don't see that being an issue. Other than that I don't think any other component could be causing this issue.

I had a similar problem the other day while messing with RAM settings in Bios. I had to reset my Mobo using the jumper. I saw you reset CMOS but have you done any trouble shooting with your RAM?

Ok, I just swapped out my vid card with an older one from my other computer and guess what? It works! So I spent a **** load of money on a psu, mobo,cpu etc... for it to be the last thing I tried.. the vid card. Well, I guess it's a good thing I ordered a new one anyway. I'd say definately give that a try first and hopefully it works. If not, good luck to you!

Pnazz said:
Ok, I just swapped out my vid card with an older one from my other computer and guess what? It works! So I spent a **** load of money on a psu, mobo,cpu etc... for it to be the last thing I tried.. the vid card. Well, I guess it's a good thing I ordered a new one anyway. I'd say definately give that a try first and hopefully it works. If not, good luck to you!

Tried the graphics card with and old working one i had and............
........ a big nothing:mad:

It's amazing how two computers can have the same symptoms and not the same diagnosis.. lol. Unless mine was a combination issue with maybe the vid card and the psu or something at the same exact time.

Good luck.

Pnazz said:
It's amazing how two computers can have the same symptoms and not the same diagnosis.. lol. Unless mine was a combination issue with maybe the vid card and the psu or something at the same exact time.

Good luck.

I am missing my PC now like crazy but i think the missus is suffering more; can't do much at the moment; sigh.

Pnazz said:
It's amazing how two computers can have the same symptoms and not the same diagnosis..

Now think how doctors feel....

Anyway, if there is no post, you're looking at quite a few problems. Possible complications are PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM and graphics card, in that order of probability.

Chances are you've got something not plugged in right (not in this case apparently).

Also, with the no-beep, you might have disconnnected your system speaker. This annoying little thing is permanently disconnected in all my systems, so I don't get any diagnostic beeps (or more often, annoying little startup beeps).

With a problematic graphics, you should have beeps to point you in the right direction. If there are no beeps, only 2 things come to mind, PSU and motherboard, which is why everyone was asking you to replace these 2 components. But someone should have told you to check the system speaker too.

CMH said:
Now think how doctors feel....

Anyway, if there is no post, you're looking at quite a few problems. Possible complications are PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM and graphics card, in that order of probability.

Well, I changed PSU first and nothing happened... then went to Mobo and CPU and still the same result and I skipped RAM and tried the graphics card so who knows which came first.. was it the chicken or the egg? :D

Well i tried a different psu and it's not that, so it's going to be the motherboard or cpu that's died.:( Eitherway it looks as if i'm going to have to buy both, which i can't afford at the moment.:dead: :dead:

I had a no-post when my reset button was stuck.

Might want to check that out? Check the power button too.

I have found out that it's definitely the motherboard. I tried the cpu in an old Dell pc and it ran just fine. So all i need to do now is find a motherboard with an Agp slot. I also need to find a new fan for the cpu as the clips snapped on the old one.

Sorry, i have not been able to answer; as i am using a mate's pc to do this.

Anyway I have managed to get hold of a ASRock P4VM890; it has a pci-express slot and i have been given a 7300gs 256mb with 512 turbo cache to keep me ticking over. My question is; i had a agp 7600 gs in my pc before it went up it, will there be a huge drop in performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back