Computer skips whenever I open a prog/song

Status
Not open for further replies.

kryptoknight

Hey all, wondering if all ya guys can help me out here.. here are my specs..

[SPECS]
Windows Xp Home Edition [SP2]
1.7 GHZ AMD 2800 Sempron
512 PC2100 Ram
Ati Radeon 9550
Onboard Sound [C-Media]
Elitegroup Motherboard [I Forget which model]
60GB Samsung Hard Drive

But yeah, the problem is, a while back the ram was passed to me from my brother [which ran perfectly fine] and which i put into this computer, and I built this myself and the chip was mounted on the motherboard when I bought it from fry's, and the hard drive is brand new, along with the vid card. The thing is when i start up the comp, the sound skips like when you start up windows it skips. Along with that it also skips when i open a game like counter-strike or everquest, and the performance is really booboo, and the game also skips, like a quarter second freeze constantly, my cpu usage boost up to 90%-100% when i play a game, and usually its sposed to be around 40-70 % depending, and even if i minimize the game its sposed to be low, but it turns out to be jumping from 90-99% around there. The cursor lags behind the mouse, and the sound skips. and i have RAN all microsoft's antispyware, and avg to scans for viruses, but i have not installed anything except my songs from cds, and games from cds nothing downlaoded directly from any p2p program or such. thanks for any help.

- K

To start with, your motherboard is of rather low quality. You would achieve quite a sound improvement by installing even a cheap soundcard.
You would probably see much better results by installing the latest video-drivers.
Check that all RAM are of the same specification and speed.
Mixing different specs could cause the problems you describe.

hehe thanks for replying real.. well i dont care about the sound, i would disable it if it caused the problem, but im fine with onboard for right now, and at the same time the board is teh suck but it still works, the ram are the same specs its only one stick of 512. any other suggestions bro? ya have AIM by chance so i could talk to you about it on there?

hmm.. tried a lot with testing with my comp today with bad ram... anyone know if reseting my CMOS would do me any good?

Go to www.memtest.org and run their memtest program (read the instructions).
Maybe that memory stick is too 'advanced' for your POS mobo?

And you must be joking, asking ME about using any form of Messenger-crap!

well yeah, i think its the other way around, because my bro told me my ram might be outdated than my mobo. i found out my mobo is a ECS Elitegroup 755-a2. it supports ddr400, but i dont think my ram matches up, its a 184 pin but i think its too slow, gonna run memtest tonight tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back