COmputer WILL NOT play DVDS !HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so the computer was doing fine for the first 6 months it was used. then the internet security protection stopped updating and before anything could be done (being that Im not rich and can't just buy $60 in protection asap) the computer was flooded with viruses, which ultimately resulted in a system restore. Since then most DVDs will not play on the comp. Most of the time I'll put the DVD into the drive then it will not read or even show up and the computer instantly freezes up and it goes right back to normal only after I eject the DVD from the drive. I've tried region encoding problems, I've delted all my media players except for Realplayer and WMP 11 and sitll no luck. Idk what to do. Honestly Im fustrated b/c this isn't my computer it's the family's but it altogether cost $1500 with everything and after taking Basic Computer Skills aka CET 1, I see now that dispite the minor rip off it's still a decnt system so i just figure for that amoutn of money i shouldn't be having these problems. Anyways, Dad's threatening to send it to Best Buy (OH GOD!). And idon't wanna have him yelling at me when I didnt do anything plus the money put into sending it up there. So a little help would be nice.

It's possible that you may have a defective drive. I have had defective drives cause all kinds of trouble with my computer. Listen to it when you put the disc in. Does it sound like it's in a constant state of spin up and spin down? Also check the light on the drive. Does it just continue to flash with out ceasing?

It might be worth the money to just go and buy a new drive, swap them out and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, go ahead and return it. Best Buy has a good return policy for doing that as long as you return it all in the original condition.

Hope this helps!

well i dont know if its defective cause its will play a few dvd's. now the drive will flash 3 or 4 times stop then flash again over and over. and no it will not recognoize dvds

When you reinstalled Windows, did you also reinstall the DVD player software (Neo, WinDVD, etc) without these, your player can't recognize DVD codecs and start the appropriate software. If this doesn't do it, like previous posts stated, the drive may have gone bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back