Computer will not post after upgrade, downgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the story... Have a custom built computer, it has been up and running for over a year..with no problems whatsoever. I put some new ram in it, same speed and everything..after installing, the comp. would not post, it will start, all fans spin, but no output to the screen. Thinking it might be bad ram, i removed the ram, and reset it back to the old configuration, with the same result. removed all components, removed cmos battery, let it sit, resinstalled one at a time, and it booted fine. Now it is back to the same thing, will not post at all. I am going to remove everything, and remove the mobo, and try to boot it with the mobo out of the case next, ive read some of the threads here on the forum, and have tried most of them already... Just find it hard to believe that the mobo may have died right then, but thats what im leaning towards... Any ideas?

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-M61SME-52 mb
2gb corsair pc5300 ddr2 mem
MSI GeForce NX8500GT vid card
120gb SATA HDD

Tried the power disperse, nothing..removed mobo from the case,removed vid card, drives, tried with just memory, nothing, reset the cmos still got nothing...gonna put it all back together, give it one more shot, then i guess start replacing components, starting with the mobo.... Thats about all I can think of right now, unless anybody has some other options to try?

One other question, I guess I've never heard of a bad memory stick damaging the motherboard, how does it do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back