computer wont boot - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

geunson

This all started when I tried to load IE 7...i wish i had not bothered...

When I tried to load IE 7 it did not work and i went through the help, it would appear as if there were some issues with my registry so i followed microsofts help. I could not change the registry so i purchased PCtools registry cleaner and ran it. Everything was okay so i downloaded ie 7 so that i could try to make the changes in safe mode and then run the instal in safe mode.

I re booted the machine, firstly in normal mode as i forgot to press to get in to safe mode and the computer loaded up fine..

When i tried to re boot in safe mode the computer froze and would not load windows.

I turned off the machine and restarted and tried to go in to safe mode again and before it got to load windows the computer re started.

I then tried to load it in normal mode, the computer gets to the windows screen but before the blue line starts the system re starts itself. I have chose all the options including last known good configuration.

I was looking for some advice on what to do next.

Thank you for any help

Graeme

Do you mean using the repair console? If so what command should I use? i have not had to do this before and just want to make sure i am doing the correct thing..

Thanks

The windows cd will realize that you have xp already installed and should come up with the repair option all by itself.

Sorry for being stupid but when I put the disk in it takes me to a screen where I can press R to go to the repair console or load windows. If i chose R it then asks me to chose the copy of XP, when i do that it then is looking for me to enter something in the DOS? command.

If i chose to carry on to load windows it takes me to a screen but there is no repair option.

Am i missing something?

Thank you for helping

The repair console is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Just let the cd run then select the repair option when it comes up with it of it's own accord.

thank you, I had tried that before but could not find an option to repair, I will try again tomorrow.

I presume you are not a fan of the repair console then....lol

thanks for all your patience

Thank you for the advice.

When I go through the steps suggested I can not find an option to repair.

My C: Partition1 is hover showing as unknown with 38146 Mb (38416 MB free) - Does this mean that the C drive has corrupted?

I think that my copy of XP is on E: Partition2 - Again if I highlight this it still does not give me an option to repair.

I have been in to the repair console which shows that I have a version of XP on E:

I have had problems previously with this computer and think that someone may have re installed XP without taking the first one off..

What do you think should be my next step?

Did your pc come with a windows disk?

The c partition could be a windows installer partition if it is a pre biult pc.

It'd help if you told me what pc you have.

It did come with a windows disk.

The PC is a Medion Power Plus 2530 (purchased from PC World)
Pentium 4
80 Gig hard drive
512 MB
2.53 GHz

I have aslo added another 80Gig hard drive and a dual layer DVD writer.

What i was going to do was load XP on to an External Drive and boot up from there - then after i take as much information of the stystem as I can I will reformat the c drive and start again.

Do you think this is the best way forward?

Thanks

So let me get this straight. It has 2 80gig hard drives inside it yes?

And you have a different hard drive in a usb external enclosure?

Are both 80gig drives used? Or is one empty?

Yes. the two 80 Gig hard drives are used in the machine....The original one has Windows on it, my program files and my work files. The second one I use for keeping all my photos , music and video on....

The external case is an old external case (usb and Firewire) I have and i also have another Hard Drive that i was planning on using with a computer I have been given (that has no Hard Drive) but I can obviously use it here if required.

As an aside I also have a lap top which is where I am accessing the internet..

Hope that is clear

You could put your c: into the external and use the laptop to error check the hard drive, it's just possible that that will get your pc booting properly again.

Thanks,

I did that but could not get it working, however i have managed to recovery all the data that i needed to.

Thanks for all you help

No problem. I'm glad i was able to help.:)

If you have any more problems post them here and i will do my best to help further.

no no no...Repair is the first "R" option when booting from the CD...to do a "Repair" install of XP, you have to get to the second "R" startup....Boot to CD, when you see first option to hit "R" and enter "Repair", select continue or skip or next steo...Don't hit "R"...it will continue on loading, see your C:\Windows installation and then give you the option to "Repair"...this is the SECOND time you get to hir "R"....it will then install XP and won't change any of your settings and files...you will have to reinstall all of updates newer then the CD you booted to...like SP2 etc.......

hate to be rude but all you giving advice should know this...its been this way since XP came out....you cqan really mess an easy fix up and cause people to loose all their data, if you do not understand the diffirence between the 2 "R" options on a cd boot

rik said:
The windows cd will realize that you have xp already installed and should come up with the repair option all by itself.
sorry, when booting from a xp CD, no it does not and never have (come up with the repair option all by itself). You choose to access the "Repair Consule", or do a "Repair reInstall"........yes, you are correct that you will not get an option to do the Repair reInstall if it does not find a previous installion of XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back