ComScore: Android usage soars, iPhone stalls, Windows Mobile dives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

ComScore's latest mobile figures are in, and Microsoft's market share has continued to plummet, while Google, RIM, and Apple experienced gains.

During the three months between October 2009 and January 2010, the research firm charted 42.7 million smartphone users in the US, up 18% from the previous period. Redmond's share fell by 4% to 15.7%, Google's grew 4.3% to 7.1%, Apple nearly stalled with 0.3% growth and 25.1% of the pie, while RIM held a majority share of 43% and saw a 1.7% increase.

During that same timeframe, there were 234 million American mobile subscribers, and a majority of them carried Motorola-made devices. The company held 22.9% of the OEM market share, while LG and Samsung trailed closely with 21.7% and 21.1%. Nokia lost 0.2% share, accounting for 9.1% of US handsets, and RIM felt the largest increase, growing 1.4% to 7.8%.

On average, 63.5% of US mobile phone owners sent a text message, 28.6% used a browser, 21.7% played a game, 17.1% accessed a social networking site or blog, and 12.8% listened to music on their handsets.

Permalink to story.

I can't imagine that Apple isn't going to invite some sort of blowback for their paranoid schizophrenic business practices.

I mean, people just assume that they can run any sort of thing on their computing device. That's the base assumption. If you disturb this, non-tech people will just feel that something is wrong...

gotta assume that people are waiting for the next gen iphone to come out. its nice to see more variety for smart phones though

There are many variables involved here. I am more interested ( I haven't researched about it ) in knowing what percentage of these percentages are normal users, developers. Excluding this personal requirement of mine.. I must say that Google impresses me, but I dislike very much their participation ( they are doing hardware now, big move )

I do thank Google for their Android operating system, though. Many carriers will manufacture phones with Android, which means that it gives us a broader audience ( program/application development specifics ).

If I were to get a smartphone it would definitely be usind Android. However, I'm a major cell phone holdout (I hate all the stupid contracts out there). I don't really see the need for one yet.

Its obvious that Android usage will soar its a better and open platform.

Apple's iCrap .. mmm .. would not use one if you paid me to.. its a completely locked down phone reminds me of mobile phones in the late 90s.

RIM is a solid competitor but it just cant keep up to faced paced open development and serious innovations on the Android platform.

Windows Mobile .. are people still using these devices .. wake up its 2010

Android is a powerful and open platform and Google is pushing out some serious ones

Some killer Android apps

Google Maps ( with Navigation )
Google Googles
Google Translate
Google Places Directory
Google My Tracks
Google Shopping
Google Listen
Google Skymap
Google Finance
Google Scoreboard
Layar Augmented Reality browser
Barcode Scanner

.peace

Another WinMo diehard here - the reality is that while the iPhone and Blackberry are both very attractive, I do not like their closed ecosystems - my WinMo is eminently customisable (Touch Pro 2) unlike the other two. Android is interesting but still scarce in South Africa.

i think that iphone has become a little bit old now! apple has to come up with another new iphone type device with better features!
i think when windows 7 mobile version is released then the windows mobile sales will surely rise!
android usage is soaring cuz of just one reason and that is the variety of apps offered by google! more and more people are interested in apps that their phone runs rather than the looks!

iCrap is a very accurate description... I have seen a friends Nexus One and I can't see how anyone would get anything else if they were interested in a flexible and very capable phone. I am not currently in need of a new phone (contract still has time before it expires) but if I was looking to buy a new phone I wouldn't buy anything else...

this doesnt supprise me at all. When the news first came out I knew android would take over. all it took was a new microsoft product ;)

I have Windows everything I can so, I will just stick to that. I really do like my windows mobile and plan to upgrade to a W7 phone just cause I do like to keep everything on the same page if possible. And not having to use ITUNES is always a plus!.

I've rarely hear anyone say something good about the iPhone.

I have never felt the need to invest in a Smart phone. If the service plans didn't cost twice as much as I'm paying now for my cell phone, I might consider an Android. Mainly b/c of the GPS.

The sad thing is that no one is selling PDAs anymore. If someone other than Apple sold a PDA like device (Ipod touch is the only one available at any decent price), i would seriously consider it. However, everything is a phone these days with either very hefty price tag or even heftier subscription fees.

I can't say that I'm sad to hear that Android is up and the iPhone is down. I'm curious to see how these numbers change though once Windows Phone 7 Series comes out.

theoscentral said:
I love my Windows Mobile Device. Windows Mobile 7 will hopefully help the plummet!

The real point of any device is - does it meet your needs. If it looks great or "inspires" you then all the better. Glad to see you are getting use out of Windows on a mobile platform, and I too hope that Mobile 7 will go a long way as a refresh.

natefalk said:
I've rarely hear anyone say something good about the iPhone.

I have never felt the need to invest in a Smart phone. If the service plans didn't cost twice as much as I'm paying now for my cell phone, I might consider an Android. Mainly b/c of the GPS.

I totally agree. If there was a PDA like device running Android, particularly if it still had GPS, i would totally get it. I do get a lot of use out of my Ipod Touch, but GPS is the main thing i would love while being out and about.

Android is a very powerful and flexible platform, with which I continue to be impressed after 6 months of Droid ownership. I am not pleased with Motorola though. I've owned broadband modems and many phones by this company and they have pretty much all been a huge disappointment and seem to break and malfunction a lot. Does anyone else have this issue with Moto? I know the RAZR has a terrible rep (I had one and it broke at least 5 times, like return to manufacturer broke), but I haven't heard the gripe I think Droid deserves.

Anyway - I am pleased to see iCrap struggling to gain market share, and can only hope it won't experience a huge boom with the 4th generation iPhone.

compdata said:
The sad thing is that no one is selling PDAs anymore. If someone other than Apple sold a PDA like device (Ipod touch is the only one available at any decent price), i would seriously consider it. However, everything is a phone these days with either very hefty price tag or even heftier subscription fees.

Keep an eye out for some of the new small form-factor tablets. They are starting to hit now at the $100 mark (to the suppliers), so the cost will be pretty low, and the ones I have seen are small Android powered slate-style units - smaller than the iPad, but bigger than a standard PDA, with high quality video and, of course, the Android apps library behind them. Might be just what the doctor ordered for you.

A girl I know just got an android based phone. She is nearly tech retarded. But she loves the phone. It was simple enough for her to use that she figured it out. She was downloading apps and everything. After a week of having the phone she absolutely loves it. The first week however, she was calling me to see if I still had my old flip phone cause she didn't want a phone that was so crazy.

Those bashing iphone? dont understand why. what better apps could you need that arent on the app store

anywho, i would think prices are down, or the same of the iphone cause everyone already has one...im in Northern Va / DC and i will see at least 20-25 iphone users a day throughout my commute on the train, and my workplace (Pentagon)

I can hardly wait to see the first virus for the Android platform.
Don't get me, wrong, I like Google and it's products, but....I am sure that it will not be long until the first Android virus will show it's ugly head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back