Connected to network but can't browse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I frequently use my laptop at my parents' house and in order to connect to their wireless network I have to manually change the TC/IP settings because they use static IP. This never used to be a problem when at my home I used Tiscali broadband; I'd just go backwards and forwards switching from manual to automatic settings with no issues. Recently I changed my ISP to O2 and I've had no end of problems trying to use my parents' internet, though I can't understand why because my partner's laptop has no trouble switching from our home network to my parents'.

I'm not currently using any anti-virus software on my laptop nor am I using a firewall, there's no IP conflict, and I'm definitely not connected to anyone else's network. The signal strength is apparently very good but as soon as I open a web page, the magnifying glass icon appears in the bottom left part of the screen and after a few seconds it comes up saying the page couldn't be displayed. The diagnostics are inconclusive and merely tell me to get in touch with the ISP. As far as I can tell, the internet settings on my laptop and my partner's are identical, but I can't understand why mine is able to get onto the network but not receive any data.

I'm running XP (which never used to have any problems before I switched ISP), my partner is running Windows 7 (formerly Vista, which again had no problems).

Why don't you try changing your parent's wireless to use dynamic IP and see if you can get the laptops connected to the Internet that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back