Connection has constant lag pockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I apologize that my first post here is a problem rather than a solution, but I ran into this forum trying to find a solution to a problem that's been going on a while:

The problem is generally that I experience lag pockets in my connection.. I have 4 computers in a wired network and two more laptops connecting wireless, they all experience these problems so I imagine it's not the computer itself.

I have a Linksys WRT54GL router and an ECI 312+ modem with an ADSL 1.5mb over 150kbps upstream (Soon to change to 250kbps, I hope)..

Now, the ECI can also function as a router, so I tried using it for both and taking the Linksys out of the picture to isolate the problem, and I still get the same lag....

So, my conclusion was (and do correct me if I'm wrong) that either something in the way I configure my routers is slowing it down and thus both routers have that bad configuration and are laggy, or it's something else.. Leaving me with either some software component, or the modem as a modem (Which is somewhat hard for me to test, since I don't have another modem I can use :/)

I would appreciate any advice on how to solve the problem, or even how to figure out what's causing it...

Thanks in advance,
Fox.

As common of a problem as it is, I'd probably blame the modem.

However, we can't say this definitively without ruling out other possibilities such as a computer with a P2P program or virus/malware that is chewing up your bandwidth. Turning off all but one computer for a period of time or running a bandwidth test should reveal any obvious network traffic problems.

If it is your modem, as I believe it probably is, a firmware update MAY fix the issue. What would be really good is if you have access to another modem, then you can use the elimination process (as you already have with your router). There's always DSL tech support too.. it's usually painful to stay on hold and talk to 'morons', but eventually they'll fix the problem or send you a new, working (hopefully) modem.

Thanks a lot for your reply... It sounds from your post that most problems of this nature are due to modems, that helps pinpointing the problem. :)

Part of the problem is that my ISP (and thus modem provider) refuses to support anything that's connected via a router, they want a single computer through the modem and into the wall to even try to help...

I do have a computer with p2p software, which I turned off because the linksys router has some issues with remembering connections for about 15 days (I know, sounds crazy X_X) so I was worried it was getting clogged up too fast...

What worries me is the case when the modem only "freaks out" when a router is present... I don't have another modem to test with, but I guess with the modem I have the luxury of disconnecting everything else and testing the connection with a single comp...

Which ISP is saying that? That doesn't make sense, you have the right to use a router with your PC and create a home or business network. I would go with another ISP provider and your paying them to use their service.

Also don't use Linksys wired or wireless router with P2P programs, they just can't handle the heavy flow of traffic (packet). Dlink Game Router wired or wireless they do make both would be the best bet. I would recommend having both wired router as the main then use wireless router as access point for your wireless devices that have to connect your network. That's what I have to do. P2P needs a good wired router like those from Dlink and Best Buy (Dynex) which also uses Dlink wired router but it's tweaked or overclocked it's sure the quickest I've seen...

I couldn't agree more, but sadly here in Israel none of the ISPs support networks with routers that aren't their own (And most don't even offer any)... I can imagine it's quite convinient for them, and they really have no reason to change because ultimately people need *some* ISP.. So yeah... -_-

tipstir said:
Which ISP is saying that? That doesn't make sense, you have the right to use a router with your PC and create a home or business network....

I think that may be a misunderstanding, NTL the ISP use, dont care how many PC's you have after the Modem, what they wont do is trouble shoot any problems with you if you have a router after the modem, I think this holds true with a lot of ISP's, the reason I can only imagine is that with so many brands of router on the market it would be impossible for any ISP to pinpoint a problem with a 3rd party device on the system.

Regards

True fact, but then get the router from the ISP. I don't know what you do in the Middle East or Euro? In the states they're glad to provide you with a router (pay more monthly fees that way) I rather go and buy my own thank you..

The only way around this is just use a switch from the Modem to the Pc set for P2P then from the from the switch back to the router. It's a bit strange but it can work. Just test and see. Might have to set the P2P PC as a static IP though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back