Archer C7 AC1751 Router 5GHZ WiFi Connection Seems Weak

Skeezix

In my 2-story home I have been using an Archer C7 AC1751 router since 2016. It is located in my 2nd floor office. I have a 40-inch Vizio Smart TV that will not connect to the 5GHz wifi, but will connect to the 2.4GHz wifi.

I also have a 50-inch Vizio Smart TV located about 10 feet away from the router. It connects to the 2.4GHz wifi but not to the 5GHz wifi. As a matter of fact, only my Pixel 7 cellphone connects to the 5GHz wifi, and it does so even when I take it downstairs and into another room.

Would a new Archer router be beneficial? I mean, would the 5GHz signal be stronger than what I have? I'm not too knowledgeable about routers, that's why I'm asking here.

In my 2-story home I have been using an Archer C7 AC1751 router since 2016. It is located in my 2nd floor office. I have a 40-inch Vizio Smart TV that will not connect to the 5GHz wifi, but will connect to the 2.4GHz wifi.

I also have a 50-inch Vizio Smart TV located about 10 feet away from the router. It connects to the 2.4GHz wifi but not to the 5GHz wifi. As a matter of fact, only my Pixel 7 cellphone connects to the 5GHz wifi, and it does so even when I take it downstairs and into another room.

Would a new Archer router be beneficial? I mean, would the 5GHz signal be stronger than what I have? I'm not too knowledgeable about routers, that's why I'm asking here.
Upgrading your Archer C7 router could definitely improve your 5GHz WiFi signal strength, especially for your TVs. The Archer C7 is an older model, and newer routers tend to have better antenna technology for better coverage.

Since your Pixel phone downstairs can connect to 5GHz, it suggests the signal reaches there but might be weak. Upgrading would likely boost the 5GHz signal strength throughout your house, allowing your upstairs and downstairs TVs to connect.

Consider routers with stronger antennas or features like mesh networking for better whole-home coverage.

Thank you for replying.
I was just wondering why the TV will not connect at 5GHz when my cellphone (and another cellphone) will connect with 5GHz when they are two stories below the router.
It would be nice if I could compare the actual broadcast signal strength and antenna broadcast pattern of my current router with those of a newer model, but I don't think that the specifications for either one are going to be easy to find.

Back