Constant blue screen stop 0x8e

Hello all,

I'm new to this and if I'm posting this to the wrong place please let me know so here goes. My CEO's Dell latitude E4300 with XP SP3 on it that constantly blue screens with stop 0x0000008E 0xC0000005

I boot the laptop up and get the logon screen and I am able to enter the username and password but once it starts to load the desktop it will blue screen.

I ran all of the Dell diags, check disk, defrag, recreate the swap file, antivirus scan, adware scan and so on. I even put the harddrive in another Dell E4300 just to make sure it isn't hardware and it still does it. I can get into the system with safe mode and safe mode with networking but that's it. Everything I read and tried comes up clean.

I went through the steps for checking the minidump but I just don't know what I'm looking at. Can someone take a look at the minidumps and debug log?

Thank you so much,

Attachments

• Mini092910-09.dmp
    96 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini092910-08.dmp
  • Mini092910-07.dmp
  • Mini092910-06.dmp
  • debuglog.txt
    20.3 KB · Views: 1
All four minidump files record the same error code 0x8E. This error code is almost always due to faulty hardware and is often a strong indicator of bad RAM. However, nothing definitive was given as to what hardware or possible driver(s) causing your issues.

Therefore we recommend you run the safe and free memtest on your memory to determine if you do have bad memory. Please follow the steps as given.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Thanks Route44! I've done that and all comes up fine. In fact the other laptop that I mentioned putting the hard drive in to test just had it's motherboard and memory replaced. I'm thinking it's drivers but can't tell which one(s).

Back