Constant system restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to Techspot, nice to be here. I've got an issue with this pc, here's the rundown. It's got Windows XP Home installed. 2.2 Ghz P4, 512 memory, 112 GB hard drive. It is constantly restarting and giving me errors. I'll attach a few minidumps. Here's what I have done to it to attempt to fix the issue. I've reinstalled Windows, replaced the motherboard with one that was claimed to have been new, I've replaced the CPU withe one that I believe to be good, I've tested the memory and hard drive and both test okay. I've taken out all expansion cards including the factory video card, there is no onboard video, and put in a brand new AGP video card. I've flashed my bios from the manufacturer's website, I've unhooked both cd-rom drives. I've updated video and network drivers from the web. I've unhooked the cables for the front panel audio, card reader, usb, etc ports. We're talking the hard drive with a fresh install of Windows, a new video card, a new mobo, a P4 CPU that should be good and that's pretty much it. The mini dumps that this computer provides show that sr.sys is the offending file, but I don't know how to fix this. I'm pulling my hair out here. I would appreciate any help some kind soul may be willing to provide. :-D

Attachments

• Mini040408-05.dmp
    64 KB · Views: 6
I believe sr.sys belongs to System Restore. Try disabling the System Restore service and see if the blue screens clear up for the time being.

Also, test your HDD with one of the utilities here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html. You might also want to consider replacing your HDD's data cable for the hell of it.

Thanks very much for your help! I attempted to disable the system restore and it still gives me the reboots dispite turning the system restore off. I should have mentioned in my first post that I used the Sea Tools for DOS utility on my hard disk, running both the short and long tests and that the drive passed both. Grrrr...frustrating problem.

I put a brand new power supply in it today and there is no change still very flaky, restarting pretty often. Here is a few dump files to chew on.

bddarnell , I don't read the dump files but find the Event Viewer very helpful in troubleshooting the cause of problems. If you would like help:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

There are three key pieces of information in the Events: Source, Event ID# and Description. this will all be available on the copy, so please follow that.

Alright I checked the Event Viewer and found the following error in the System log: Source: system error, category: 102, event ID: 1003 Type: error; error code:0000000a, parameter1 00000001c, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 80528518

I would also like to add that strangely when I was evaluating the mini dumps from this system some of them came back as corrupt. Out of about 12 or so that came up yesterday I think 3 or 4 were corrupt when I attempted to open them in WinDbg. Is this indicative of anything in particular, besides a crappy computer that should be lit on fire? :-D

Okay, I tried to open the dmp files to see the bug check, but I can't open the files. Going on your 'symptoms' and the information for this Error. I will refer you to this Microsoft site. Note the problem mentions causes the reboot and why:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;897079

This Stop error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS. Suspect the following:
- incompatibility with the current operating system version or service pack
- corrupted files
- viruses
- faulty hardware
- Usual cause: Drivers are using improper memory addresses.

Disable any newly installed drivers and remove any newly added programs.

Let me know your status after doing this. You may also be able to pin down a faulty driver in the Device Manager- look for the yellow triangle with the black exclamation point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back