Could I get some feedback on this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3xynanigoat

Here's most of the specs for the computer I am building. I'd like to get some thoughts about the rig and if possible, some suggestions for the parts I have not order yet. The parts I am about to list i am locked into so they will not be changed. This machine is going to be my gaming box, I'll be using it as my main PC as well.

Here's the Parts that are ordered -

1)MOBO - ASUS A8N 32-SLI Deluxe
2)CPU - Athlon 64 x2 4800+
3)Mouse - Logitech G5
4)Soundcard - Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

Here's what I am considering, these can be changed -
1)GPU
- a) EVGA e-GeForce 7800 GTX KO
- b) Gigabyte GV-3D1-68GT (This cards size is a little large for me)
- c) GeForce 7800GTX

2)Cooling
-a) Zalman Resorator 1 Plus
-b) Zalman CNPS9500 LED

3)Hard Drive
-a) WD Caviar SE 16 400

4)CD/DVD burner
-a) Sony DRU-810A
-b) Plextor PX-716A

I am up for any kind of feedback. please point out any flaws you may see, and feel free to make suggestions for RAM/CASE/PSU. If you suggest a Case, it needs to take advantage of the mobo's heat pipe, it also needs to be a high tower case with a top mounted PSU.

So what you guys think? Good machine?

Ruder said:
Won't need to do the hard work ... and the dell comes in a nice box ... :)
But they are not upgradaable, cost about 300 dollors more, and if you know how to build and builing a pc is a good exprence to have and only takes about 5 hours

Dell is terrible for gaming,

and they are not upgradable,
and they are a ripoff,
and they're support sucks (get someone from India...)

=mossimoboy
and they're support sucks (get someone from India...)

All of it is so true espesally about there support, i was helping my cuzion fix his dell and we had to wait about a half hour before we got someone and then we were transfered 2 times

mossimoboy said:
Dell is terrible for gaming,

What about the XPS600? I looked at them while I was on the Dell site. Of course by the time I customized it the way I would want it. It was $4200.00 :D

Not upgradeable? Anything is upgradeable.

Telephone support is usually a bunch of students that had some call center training - read answers from a scripted knowledge base.

LordScythe said:
Psh...
Get an alienware. They PWN.
Yah I'd have to agree dell sucks horribly. I got a dell notebook.
Biggest mistake ever.

an hp is looking mighty fine right about now

Since this has turned into a dell discussion, let me chime in. Dell as gaming machines are not going to cut it. They are not upgradeable, whoever said they were. If you were to upgrade one it would take some serious customisation on your part. Most of the hardware they use is Dell specific, including PSU's and Ram I believe. Now... Dell as an office machine is a wise choice. But then again.... I'd rather build them all myself for less money and then do the support myself.

So.. on a side note, is anyone out there using the K8N32-SLI Deluxe who can recommend a case.

Sorry about that s3xynanigoat,my original comment about buying a Dell was a joke,but you know what these guys are like :) Of course Dell is c***.I was just jealous of your rig.

swker98 said:
But they are not upgradaable, cost about 300 dollors more, and if you know how to build and builing a pc is a good exprence to have and only takes about 5 hours

What do you do to your computer that it takes five hours to build??? I just built my first computer from scrach and it only took about an hour to get it together.

well i was new to building, so i took my time
i also took alot of breaks, mabe it was more like 3hours

Staying right on the bleeding edge of computer hardware upgrades is such a waste of money. I prefer to upgrade my computer from parts that were introduced a year earlier. It's so much more efficient (from a monetary perspective) to stay behind the curve, so to speak.

However, I do have respect for hardcore gaming machines oozing graphics capability from every orifice/port.

I agree that buying new technology often leaves you put out in a year because you've spent a large wad on something great and now it's out of date. However this will be the first system of mine that I have built that's the leading edge on every component. Well maybe that's a bit to far fetched, but it is deffinately up there on the list of high end components.

:grinthumb

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 x2 4800+
Logitech G5 mouse
Zalman Reserator 1 Plus
(1) 7800 GTX KO 512mb
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (115$, a good buy off newegg)
WD Caviar SE16 400
WD 120GB External HD
Plextor PX-716A Optical Drive

All I need now is to order the Ram, Case, PSU, and the standoff studs. I'm also putting one of those raptor HD's in there, but I haven't priced them yet. Please if anyone has suggestions on the RAM/PSU speak up. I think I got the case covered.

I'm pretty sure standoffs usually come with the mobo. I've bought both a Gigabyte and an MSI case and they both came with standoffs.

Get a good case. Anything from NZXT is great. Their least expensive case is about $60 and all of their cases have a tooless design. I don't know anything about the power supply that the case ships with, though. If money is no object, PC Power and Cooling PSUs are the absolute best on the market. I know a lot of people like PSUs with modular plugs, but the pins can rust and the extra connection makes them less stable. Their not really "bad," but they won't last as long as traditional PSUs.

Memory Suggestions

I too am building a high-end gaming computer and am using quite a few of the same parts you decided to use. For memory Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO is recommended on the asus website. It is optimized for use with the asus a8n32-sli deluxe mothorboard. You can get a 2 x 1GB kit from newegg for $299.00. Other memory you may want to consider is OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum Edition, which supposedly is as fast or better. Gigaram's 2GB Dual Channel PC-4200 is a third option. www.anandtech has a good article detailing all three, and chooses the ocz. Personally...I would go with the Corsair they are one of the best known memory brands and are personally recommended by asus, not to mention wickedly fast.

Psu

For the power supply I would reccomend at least 550w of power and more is better. I personally chose a 650w power supply from Coolmax. I would look for something that is Nvidia SLI certified, especially if you are planning on running two videocards. Enermax, Antec, and PC Power & Cooling(the best but pricey) are proably the best brands on the market. On a pesonal note I think that two 7800gt's(especially the oc versions) are a faster and more economical option than one 7800gtx, especially since your motherboards main feature is dual pci-e x16 slots, but your proably planning on buying another gtx later anyways.!

Sorry about the double post.

Thank you so much kens8 and ks1, I really appreciate the feedback.

KS1, did you have to get on a waiting list for the A8N32-SLI Deluxe board? Assuming that is the board you are using. I did and the thing was a month long.

KS1, Thank you for the PSU advice. I will deffinately be using it with my final decision on the PSU. Same goes for the memory advice from KS1.

I do plan on inserting a second GTx-KO at some point in the future. Assuming there is space.

Hi,

In my opinion, first-of-all, you should consider choosing the priority game you may be playing ... go to it´s website and read all minimum specs and ... most important ... which hardware are not compatible ...

MOST GAMES HAVE MOST PROBLEM WITH SOUND/VIDEO CARDS ...

For example, I had to change my videocard to play BF2 ... when I ordered the BFG 6800 ULTRA OC AGP, I became aware that it needed AT LEAST 480Watts and a free PCI slot, beside the AGP slot. If I didn´t pay attention to those limitations I would need to buy a new PC ... or sell that FANTASTIC videocard ... :unch:

Best Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back