Counter-Strike - free chase flicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

Just a quick question...

After I'm killed on CS (happens a lot) and it goes into free-chase, sometimes the character view flickers and glitches (like seeing through the floor, instead of where they are). Even while alive and playing, sometimes other characters can seem to be waist deep in the ground, or walking on air. The server I'm on is set not to allow such "super power" modifications to the game, so I'm wondering if this kind of glitching is normal behaviour for CS when playing online, or whether something's wrong. Probably the former, but I thought it would be worth checking.

this is a shader issue, try uninstalling, installing your graphics drivers, this might help.

i've been playing cs:source since original release and i've never had these problems myself, but in the search for a better gaming experience i've seen fizes for this sort of thing.

have you tried posting on the steam forums?

also what graphics card are you using?

I havn't posted in the steam forums yet, mainly because it's ok to play while still alive. My graphics card is in my primary machine on my profile - Asus V9400 Magic MX4000

While I don't play online, you can also go into free look mode after being killed while playing bot skirmishes offline. It depends on where you are standing at the time as to what your perspective view is. You can fly through walls (some maps have hidden Easter eggs you can find that way), leave the map boundaries, fly up into the air or move into the ground. I'm not sure if this accounts for what you are seeing but your view of the "world" can be strange in free look mode.

It could also be that Steam has issues with Geforce 2 cards (Geforce 4 MX are just souped up Geforce 2 cards). In the VGA options, see if Steam has properly detected that your card has DirectX 7 hardware & set Software to DirectX 7 accordingly.

Thanks Didou. One small problemthough, being that I can't find any Dx or VGA options in steam. There's a video tab in CS itself, but no Dx options there either.

I think I might try uninstalling the nvidia drivers and reinstalling the card using the official Asus drivers.

When I OCd my 6600GT 128Mb PCI-E a little too far ( :blush: ) I saw the artifacts and conditions you describe exactly. I asked on-line if other players were seeing them and it was a definite NO. So I concluded it wasn't Steam issue, turned the OC down a little and all was well again.

Conclusion: Heat?, PIC-E bus was NOT OCd (couldn't keep up?) I don't know, my guess heat.
EDIT: My CPU was not OCd at the time either.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back