Counterfeit Flash Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a flash drive on Ebay, which was advertised as 16GB, it's only 2GB. I'm resolving the dispute with the seller, and will be reporting her to Ebay, but she told me I do not need to return the "defective" one to her, but she will be sending a replacement (probably counterfeit as well). My question is, is there a flash utility to undo the reprogramming this drive went through? Probably the same type of software she initially used to tamper with it? I want to set it back so it recognizes at 2GB instead of 16GB, since it will let you copy up to 16GB, but as soon as you unplug it, they are gone. Don't worry about a solution being too advanced for me, I've been doing Sys Admin for 7 years. Thank you!

not really, you can use a low level formatting program like partition magic, but it is risky and you can accidentally damage a regular hard drive in the process if you're not careful.

ebay computer purchases are very dodgy and I have been burned on more than one occasion. Sometimes you can get a good deal, but there are many disreputable or ignorant sellers as well as buyers on ebay.

Thanks.

Yeah, I went into the auction knowing full well it could be counterfeit or tampered. But there is plenty of recourse for me to not only get my money back, but flag this seller as well. If Ebay and Paypal fail me, I still have my bank, which is the best bank in the world. They stop payment first, ask questions later. I'm actually going to try to format it in Linux, if not that, then something else. Not sure if formatting it will fix the incorrect reporting or not.

use the Disk Mgr and delete the partition(s).
anyone attempting to use it in the future will need to repartition which then forces
a format :)

NEVER purchase anything on ebay without using a credit card.
You can ALWAYS do a chargeback later if the dispute is found with the seller by ebay.

I am an eBay Powerseller and would NEVER consider buying computers or high end peripherals (or anything expensive, for that matter) on an auction. Too many fraudsters and kids with too much time on their hands to come up with a new scheme to scam buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back