Court documents reveal almost half of Fortnite's revenue comes from PlayStation, iOS accounted...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: We know that Fortnite's iOS version made plenty of money for Epic Games before Apple booted the game off the App Store, but it was far from the most lucrative platform. That honor goes to the PlayStation 4, which accounted for 46.8% of Fortnite's total revenue between March 2018 and July 2020.

With Epic's trial against Apple starting next week, court documents have been released that reveal just how much money Fortnite generates on each platform. The PlayStation 4 is the clear leader, being responsible for 46.8% of the game's total revenue for the specified period. Sitting behind Sony's machine is the Xbox One, which generated 27.5%.

Fortnite on iOS brought in over $700 million before being removed by Apple, but it still accounts for just 7% of the game's total revenue. The remaining 18% of the pie was shared by between PC, Android, and the Nintendo Switch.

Apple iOS revenue was predicted to make up even less of Fortnite's overall income in 2020. A deposition of Epic Games' David Nikdel, a senior programmer who works on the backend services for Fortnite, has the iOS share at just 5.8%, while Xbox One is at 24% and the PS4 "almost" 40%.

The success of Fortnite on the PlayStation likely influenced the $200 million Sony Group Corporation recently invested in Epic Games. The Japanese tech giant increased Epic's valuation last year to $17.9 billion through a $250 million investment for a 1.4% stake.

Ultimately, this means that Fortnite won't be taking much of a hit if it never returns to the App Store. The game made nearly $2 billion in 2019, so losing 6% - 7% of that amount isn't going to bankrupt Epic when console and PC players continue buying V-Bucks.

Permalink to story.

I've never been that enthusiastic playing games like this on my phone.

I think you're not the target demographic: my 10 year old plays on anything that would run it for several hours per day if left unsupervised (Which of course I don't) And once you're deep into hunting down the unlock challenges and level grinding you would be sneaking in hours on the mobile on car rides and such.

I think you're not the target demographic: my 10 year old plays on anything that would run it for several hours per day if left unsupervised (Which of course I don't) And once you're deep into hunting down the unlock challenges and level grinding you would be sneaking in hours on the mobile on car rides and such.

Same for my cousin's kid. He played on both the PS4 and his iPad. Its crazy the amount of money that the kid has used in this game. I mean, he is a good kid and all he ask is for money to buy skins on that game.

That said, now that he cant play it on his iPad is one more good reason to force Apple, Sony, Nintendo and MS to offer options to their customers. I dont include Google, because Android already allows sideloading.

That said, now that he cant play it on his iPad is one more good reason to force Apple, Sony, Nintendo and MS to offer options to their customers. I dont include Google, because Android already allows sideloading.
Allows but definitely doesn't encourage. Google very subtly does everything it can to make the Play store more convenient and thus attractive by allowing auto-updating and one-click installs vs. my experience with the FOSS store.

Allows but definitely doesn't encourage. Google very subtly does everything it can to make the Play store more convenient and thus attractive by allowing auto-updating and one-click installs vs. my experience with the FOSS store.
It could be better, but at least is there.

The others are way worse.

It looks like Epic is covering their Fortnite development costs. That new margarita machine in the Epic Studios break room doesn't seem so extravagant after all.

Kids genuinely get excited about a new season of Fortnite and all the new loot and skins to unlock as part of the battlepass. Essentially Epic has created a new subscription model that's voluntary.
I think RPG MMO's should take note because their sector is getting smaller each year.

While it is possible to game on a mobile phone, a fast pace game like this is not suited on virtual on screen controls. I am not surprised that they don't sell that well on either mobile OS.

Anyway, I suspect EPIC would have also try and sue the console makers to "free gaming" if Sony did not make a big contribution to their coffer.

I've never been that enthusiastic playing games like this on my phone.
It's mostly just a way how to keep players playing the game. They will know that they can always play it on Phone etc. but they will know that it sucks on it so they will go back to their main platform. Hard to tell but it actually works that is why a lots of games are getting a mobile port & mostly cuz mobiles are finally good.

While it is possible to game on a mobile phone, a fast pace game like this is not suited on virtual on screen controls. I am not surprised that they don't sell that well on either mobile OS.

Anyway, I suspect EPIC would have also try and sue the console makers to "free gaming" if Sony did not make a big contribution to their coffer.

I don't think you know what this is about. Sony bought 1.4% of Epic they didn't just give Epic money. How could Epic sue Sony if Sony didn't remove their product from their store? Epic's issue with Apple has to do with Apple giving better deals to companies that make a lot more money and not just because Apple didn't buy stocks.

Same for my cousin's kid. He played on both the PS4 and his iPad. Its crazy the amount of money that the kid has used in this game. I mean, he is a good kid and all he ask is for money to buy skins on that game.

Our kids love it - they get their season passes and for that much the game isn't actually bad value. It's effectively a giant virtual playground for kids.
We don't give them money for cosmetics. In fact its been a good excuse to teach them early about worthless in-game purchases and steer them away from all that in general.

Back