CPU Doesn't Make Boot Up Sound, Monitor gets no signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

So today I go to turn my computer on, and all of a sudden my monitor displays "No Signal". I thought the connection wasn't in all the way, but it was, and everything seemed alright. After a second boot up I realized my computer didn't make the boot up sound it normally makes when you turn it on. I also notice my DVD drive stays at a constant green light as if its trying to process something. My indicator lights for my CPU case aren't blinking like they normally do. I asked around and people were telling me it could be the PSU, or the motherboard that went bad. I decided to switch the PSU, and it still resulted in the same problem. Any suggestions? or tips? Thanks.

Here are my PC specs

ECS 945P-A motherboard
Intel Pentium D 805 Processcor 2.80ghz
1GB Kingston DDR2 RAM
120 GIG Maxtor Hard Drive
256 MB Nvidia Geforce 7800GT
550W Ultra Connect ATX Power Supply

The first thing I would check would be the ram ( download and run memtest) the second would be the Hard drive. ( download and run yur hard drive makers diagnostic software.)

if you have moved the case around recently or added components then make sure both the ram and the video card are fully seated.

^ can't use those programs if his computer doesnt turn on ..

I say CPU

Maybe even mobo.

no sound from mobo?

Long beeps means memory failure .

Could you tell us if you've added anything new recently?
Also, you should try removing everything that's not vital then reintroducing them one by one. You need:
One RAM stick
Processor
HDD (Hard Drive)
Graphics Card
PSU
Mainboard

You could try it without the HDD and if your mobo has an onboard Video card you could try booting without the 7800GT in. While in the case, check the heatsink of the CPU and the fan to make sure none of the wires are getting caught in the fan and that the heatsink doesn't wabble. If the heatsink wabbles you'll need to remove it and apply conductant Gel then replace it.
Is the machine making any strange noises at all? Grindings that seem unusual and such?
Please let us know how you get on.

If your dvd light is on constantly

Remove the DVD drive from the IDE cable and pull the power plug on the DVD drive and try starting up again.

Woh, there Tedster. Did you type all that up yourself?
You've really got that diagnostic sequence worked out there.
He's got a lot for you to do there tenzor and it's all valid stuff (as far as I can tell, I didn't read it all).

IPEX Computing - Dead Computer

Try Bench Testing the Board

1. Remove all your computer contents from your case and disconnect everything.

2. If you have an antistatic bag then place your board on that. Connect a PSU and soem RAM. If you have built in Graphics then plug the monitor into that. If you have no built in graphics then you will also need to plug in your Graphics card.

3. Locate the power on switcd on the "Panel" of you motherboard. Use a flathead screwdriver to join the two pins momentarily and you computer should start to boot up.

4. If you get a long beep then you have a memory problem. If you have no graphics the a) try changing you graphics card or b) if you are using built in graphics then plug in a graphics card.

5. If none of that works then it may be time for a new computer :?

please view my site www.ipex-computing.co.uk/boardtest.html in a couple of days to view correctly how to bench test a motherboard.

exucuse the site still under construction.

IPEX computing said:
5. If none of that works then it may be time for a new computer :?

I think a whole new computer may be a bit of an exaggeration here. Don't you mean new mainboard?

may i suggest that you remove the power switch wires, by pass the switch with a screw driver. power switches do go bad.

hmm last time i had this issue it was the motherboard

my computer would turn on .. no beeps and would just run .. tho nothing actually worked .. i thought it was the AGP socket but it was the mobo

I have the Same Problem.

I added new RAM and a New CPU, computer will Turn on and won't even Post, the Speaker wont even Beep.

Could it be a Dead Mobo or the New RAM?

the new CPU is a AMD Athlon Socket 754 3200+

The RAM is 1GB Corsair Value Select (2x512)

I'm saving up Money for a new Build right now, but I want to Squeeze as much Life out of this one as I can.

Any Suggestions?

Take the RAM out, does the PC give you constant long beeps? If it does, the processor and motherboard is working.

If it doesn't, your CPU or motherboard isn't working. Try putting the old CPU back in if you're not even getting beeps with the new CPU and no RAM.

I just Moved from White City to Grants Pass, I lost the Old CPU in the Move.

Thats why I got a new One.

and I get no Beeps.

or it could be the mother board. either will cause that problem and MB have more problems than CPU's.

Same problem -- No signal, no beeps

I smelled something burning when I turned on my daughter's computer (which hadn't been used in ~ a week). At first I thought it was the UPS because it had been making funny noises for the last few days, so I switched to another UPS. Then I got the "No signal" message, so I thought it might have been the ATI video card. I swapped that video card out with a Matrox card, but still got the "No signal" message.

When I came across this forum thread I realized that I wasn't getting any boot-up beeps either. As suggested, I disconnected the hard drives and removed the RAM sticks; still no beeps.

The reason my daughter's computer hadn't been used in ~ a week was because the RAID1 array displayed a Critical Failure alert. But when I tested each hard drive individually with Western Digital's test software, they both passed even the advanced tests. Could the (false?) RAID array alert have been caused by a motherboard problem rather than a hard drive failing?

[FWIW, only one hard drive was attached (to the Primary IDE connector) when the current "No Signal, no beeps" problems started.]

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. In what order should I try replacing hardware, and which: Power supply? Motherboard? CPU? Video card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The order that you just put it in sounds pretty good, depending on a few things.

Check out the motherboard a little closer. I've seen motherboards with bad or failing capacitors do some weird things, so take a look at them to make sure they all have flat tops, no bulging or breaking at the top. If you don't know what they look like, check out the URL below to get a little more information about them. You may need to remove a ventilation cover over your processor to see them all.

While you're looking at the capacitors, keep an eye out for any burnt-looking areas on the motherboard itself.

If those check-out O.K. Then I'd start by replacing the power supply, or better yet, go to the local mom-and-pop PC repair shop and ask them to give you a low price to test with a known good compatible power supply, and make sure that they know not to do any further testing/diagnosing (unless it's free of course).

capacitor url:
pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

(sorry to make you copy and paste, too new to post links)

No signal, no beeps

Check out the motherboard a little closer. I've seen motherboards with bad or failing capacitors do some weird things, so take a look at them to make sure they all have flat tops, no bulging or breaking at the top.

Bingo! We have a winner! Some of the three capacitors between the CPU and I/O board appear to be bulging at the top but, worse still, one of the capacitors above the CPU seems to have erupted and burned.

So, do I bother trying to have the capcitors replaced, or bite the bullet and find a replacement motherboard? The nearest similar-configuration motherboard I can find (on eBay) is an ASUS A7V333. This would allow me to use all the peripherals, CPU, SIMMs, IDE hard drives, etc, that the A7V266E was using. The only drawback is the A7V333 does not have RAID (only the Deluxe version does, but no one has that motherboard for sale).

I guess I'll pop for the A7V333 and either forego the RAID, setting up the two hard drives as C & D, and periodically clone one to the other, for find an add-in Promise RAID card. Any other suggestions?

Thank you so much i-hate-my-iGP for your insight. You saved me countless hours trying replacement PSUs, CPUs, etc, looking for the culprit.

No signal, no beeps ==> bad capacitors

nickc, I can't find anyone selling an ASUS A7V266E or A7V333 Deluxe, both of which have RAID. The closest I can get is an A7V333 (no RAID).

why does it have to be one of those especially u are going to have to format and reinstall the OS with any new mother board.

No signal, no beeps ==> bad capacitors

nickc said:
why does it have to be one of those especially u are going to have to format and reinstall the OS with any new mother board.

I'm already familiar with those motherboards (I have another computer that has the A7V333 Deluxe [with RAID]). I know that all the current components are compatible. I also have all the BIOS and driver updates, and know how the jumpers should be set. Essentially, it would require the least brain-strain to stay with what I know.

When I have the luxury of time, I can research more modern motherboard offerings, but I know I would have to invest in a dual-core CPU, new memory, SATA hard drives and cables, PCI-Express video card, etc. I hope I can still use my ATX-format case with the modern motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back