Problem with laptop. Faulty motherboard?

Very big question, hope someone can take the time to read this.

I bought a replacement motherboard for my old laptop because I fried my old one with water. It concerns the MSI gp62 2qe, the replacement motherboard is one of the gp72 2qe series. This motherboard came without a CMOS holder for a weird reason. I wanted to have this soldered to it myself, but I heard that a CMOS is not necessary for a working laptop. You just keep losing your bios settings.

All components on the old board should be able to go with the new one from the gp72 (I reused heatsink, fan, lcd and wifi card and power cable). Upon arrival I immediately put my old SSD in the new motherboard. Windows booted very normally, the problem was that Windows was linked to my older motherboard and this version was no longer legitimate.

I then wiped my hard drive and put a new Windows on it. At this part I lost my hair, my laptop starts up much slower than before.
On the first boot the MSI logo came 1 sec after boot and then it went on to Windows. After reinstalling windows on the drive it takes maybe 10 seconds before it boots up, and when it boots I get the msi screen twice before going to Bios (I then have to disable UEFI mode and enable Legacy before it boots via my SSD). At this point the fan also starts blowing really hard (When I turn off my laptop and then open it I can feel that my Heatsink is super hot just from booting up).

And now the biggest problem,
My laptop now refuses to boot into Windows. Whatever I do. I have formatted and reset the SSD several times for windows on another laptop. It then works fine on that laptop, but as soon as I use it in my MSI it boots into Windows for 10 seconds and then my laptop reboots without any warning (My fan is also running during this process)

When I boot via Microsoft's Media Creation tool on a USB, I get the laptop to restore Windows. But as soon as I get to the setup screen where I can choose a language, my laptop shuts down and restarts itself with the same problems.
I do not get it anymore. The SSD, HDD and RAM memory work fine when I test them on my older laptop.

Nice to mention is that this does not happen when I go through the BIOS. My laptop never fails in the BIOS environment, not even in the Media Creation environment. Only until I actually boot into Windows do I get this that it crashes after a few seconds.

Is this just a faulty motherboard?

If I bought a replacement motherboard and it wasn't an exact match I'd send it back. The cmos battery is there for good reason so that's almost certainly the reason for your difficulties. It keeps your BIOS settings without which things are going to be pretty chaotic.

If I bought a replacement motherboard and it wasn't an exact match I'd send it back. The cmos battery is there for good reason so that's almost certainly the reason for your difficulties. It keeps your BIOS settings without which things are going to be pretty chaotic.
I actually took the motherboard to the shop and got a CMOS holder solderd to the motherboard. I dont boot into bios anymore automatically. But the same Windows and heat issues persue.
I just dont want to waste more money than I already have. I have a fully new laptop cover + keyboard for a motherboard that doesnt work.
Is this a dead case or could this be fixed? Like, is there a chance all the Windows drivers (+I recently upgraded my older motherboard before I fried it) ruined my new motherboard when I used the same SSD to boot up the first time?

Also, It was bought from a local craigslist like site. Item can't be returned so I'm stuck with it pretty much

I doubt if I know more than you but did you properly remove the heat-paste on the cpu and reapply it as recommended - not too much and not too little?

I doubt if I know more than you but did you properly remove the heat-paste on the cpu and reapply it as recommended - not too much and not too little?

Yes, cleaned the cpu gpu + coolingsystem and then applied the normal amount of paste.

I got the seller to take the product though, so atleast I'll get that part of my money back. In the end I could not figure out what was wrong with the motherboard.

Thanks for the help anyways @bazz2004 !

This topic can be closed as I dont have the motherboard in my possesion anymore.

Back