CPU upgrade ( what problems will arise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teaser261

I am looking to upgrade my CPU. I am currently running a P4 2.0 socket 478. I am looking at a P4 3.0 and don't know what kind of problems are to be expected. I have added my own 2nd HD, memory, TV card, DVD drive, USB card, and have had no trouble. Changing Cpu makes me nervous, What do I need to know about FSB, BIOS, etc. ? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Tell us what Mobo (motherboard) you have and show us the CPU that you want to get (the product on the site). We'll tell you if it's okay or not (or at least I will). It SHOULD be fine but just as a precaution.

According to PC Wizard 2006, my mobo is a Micro Star Inc.MS-6580 with an Intel chipset i845G. I was looking on NewEgg at an " Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor Model RK80546PG0801M - OEM " but I don't know anything about FSB and most say 533MgHz and this one says 800. I thank you for any and all info.

Got some bad news for you Teaser.

The MSI 6580 series mainboards do not support 800mhz FSB CPU's, nor do they support Hyperthreading CPU's. You're basically limited to 533mhz FSB CPU's without HT.

It IS a standard ATX form-factor motherboard, but I'd really strongly urge against this route. You'd need to buy new memory (the 6580 only uses ddr-333's and you'd need ddr-400's as well to run the right memory ratio for an 800mhz fsb cpu).. new mainboard.. then finally new CPU. You'd then be out a ton of cash for an obsolete socket 478 and obsolete AGP standard, so those funds would be better put into a PCI-E/DDR2 system.

You may be able to cheaply add a little more CPU power, but it will depend on the 2.0 ghz you have now and installed memories. If you can download CPU-Z and run this.. use it's dump register button on the last tab and copy/paste or attach it here.. it's possible you CAN get a nice upgrade in performance for very cheap.

Webroot Spysweeper won't let me access the CPU-Z site, any insight? Also, maybe it's time for a new PC, I just hate to think that I just put in 2 sticks of 256, an AGP card, 2nd hd,dvd , usb/firewire. I should have found you guys sooner! Thanks

Teaser261 said:
I just hate to think that I just put in 2 sticks of 256, an AGP card, 2nd hd,dvd , usb/firewire. I should have found you guys sooner! Thanks

On the computer I'm replacing, I had an Abit IS-7 and that supports 800 mhz FSB and HT. It accepts AGP graphics cards (as opposed to the PCI Express on the newest boards) and you could probably still use your memory on that board. That goes for the DVD and probably the hard drive (the IS-7 supports ATA100 and SATA 1.5 I believe).

You just have to look at whatever board you're considering and the parts you already have and see if they fit each other.

On the computer I'm about to build, I'm only replacing the motherboard and processor for now. I'm still going to use my previous case, hard drive, CD-RW, DVD+-RW, sound card, memory, etc.

Sharkfood said:
Got some bad news for you Teaser.

The MSI 6580 series mainboards do not support 800mhz FSB CPU's, nor do they support Hyperthreading CPU's. You're basically limited to 533mhz FSB CPU's without HT.

It IS a standard ATX form-factor motherboard, but I'd really strongly urge against this route. You'd need to buy new memory (the 6580 only uses ddr-333's and you'd need ddr-400's as well to run the right memory ratio for an 800mhz fsb cpu).. new mainboard.. then finally new CPU. You'd then be out a ton of cash for an obsolete socket 478 and obsolete AGP standard, so those funds would be better put into a PCI-E/DDR2 system.

Ditto, If you WANTED to still upgrade your CPU and keep with Intel, I would get a Socket 775 Mobo and get a good Pentium D processor (or wait for the Core 2 Duo...if you can get your hands on one).

If you want a cheap upgrade, I would reccomend purchasing more RAM that's compatible to work with the Mobo and the CPU.

Teaser-
Do you remember or still have the receipt for the RAM you recently purchased?

If you know exactly what kind and how much you bought, this might yield some cheap suggestions for getting more power (if possible) without breaking the bank.

Also, are you in the USA? If so, do you have a credit-card or method of ordering online? There are a few OEM's here in the USA that still stock older Northwood/533 cores for dirt cheap that may add a little more power for you.

Kingston
Part Number : KVR266X64C25/256
Serial Number : Unspecified
Type : DDR-SDRAM PC2100 (133 MHz) - [DDR-266]
Size : 256 MB (1 rows, 4 banks) this is the memory i have, I do live in the US and have credit cards if you have a specific site you can send me to. After everything I have read here I may just get a new mobo,CPU, powersupply, and case. This way I can take some of the parts out and build a new machine and give what is left to my kid. It's alot faster than her 1.0 machine. I really appreciate all the help you all have been. I'm glad I found this site. I hope I can help some of you someday.

Thanks for the link, I might try this. What is involed when I change CPU's? I'm pretty sure I can handle the hardware change , but what kind of problems am I in for when I power up? Thanks again!

You should't have software or harware problems, unless you get a DOA CPU. Otherwise, it should be much faster.

Thanks Wolfram, I think I will go for it, It's the cheapest route. Thanks to everyone. This community is great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back