Cracked Max Payne 2 distributed through Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Staff

In what appears to be a slip-up by Rockstar developers, a cracked version of Max Payne 2 was distributed through Steam for a brief period of time. The origin of this embarrassing gaffe is unknown, but laziness may be to blame as Rockstar was purportedly intending to remove the DRM from the sequel of the PC gaming classic.

As reported here by Steam community members and confirmed by other reliable sources, Max Payne 2's main executable was actually an unprotected copy courtesy of "Myth", a prolific group of crackers responsible for many no-CD game patches. The evidence was clear: an ASCII myth logo found in the Max Payne 2 binary.

Reportedly, the cracked version was swiftly pulled from the Steam store and silently replaced with a genuine copy of the game albeit with one caveat: the latest legitimate version is older (1.0.98) than the latest release of the game (1.1.102). Steam members note that even though Rockstar covered their mistake, the "Myth" logo is still apparent in another binary bundled with the official download.

Below is the actual binary code with the "Myth" logo in ASCII art:

Permalink to story.

Was McAfee working on this? Luckily, it didn't break XP like McAfee did, so they must be getting better at their QA!

LOL! That is too funny.

Not the first time something like this has happened, but maybe the first time it's been distributed on Steam though.

@windmill I wouldn't say better, more like the developers were lazy and just used what was already available.

Relic said:
Not the first time something like this has happened, but maybe the first time it's been distributed on Steam though.

@windmill I wouldn't say better, more like the developers were lazy and just used what was already available.

When Empire Total War came out, I downloaded it first to see if its worth buying, and I had a great time, so i purchased it. Somehow the cracked version was able to use Crossfire, but the Steam version would not load if I had Crossfire enabled. I had to turn it off for the game to work. In the cracked version game ran fine on Crossfire.

I don't know all the details of why, but the fact spoke for itself, I had a substandard gaming experience on a retail version of game as compared to a cracked version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back